Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will it be GTK2+ / Gnome?

From the screenshot on the frontpage it looks like GTK2+, but I can't really make it out.

Doesn anyone know if it is GTK2+ or perhaps a Gnome application?
    IP

Default Re: Will it be GTK2+ / Gnome?

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus
    From the screenshot on the frontpage it looks like GTK2+, but I can't really make it out.

The FAQ clearly states that Xtreme is been ported to wxWidgets, which on Linux adequates to Gtk toolkit.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine
    The FAQ clearly states that Xtreme is been ported to wxWidgets, which on Linux adequates to Gtk toolkit.
    Greetings from Sweden!

I have been using Xara Products for years and love them!
    Not reflecting anything on the product, However, I would
    hope that you to be a little more understanding when it comes
    to technical questions concerning Linux. I myself having just
    moved over to Linux, so I would not have known that
    wxWidgets = GTK toolkit.

I love both my new Linux and I am in Love with this program...
    Looking forward to Beta-testing it. The demo works great on
    Xandros 3.01 OCE ...

Dennis
    IP

No, wxWidgets != gtk (at least not quite), see:
    http://www.wxwidgets.org/faqgtk.htm
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine
    Does that mean the compiled applications actually use native GUI instead of some emulated libraries? When I tried to run Inkscape on Windows, it requires GTK+ runtime, loading Inkscape alone is terribly slow and crashes quickly. In addition, each the floating toolbar is treated like an application under Windows, making the interface a pain to use. If Xara developers decided to do multiplatform, it should use something like Cairo to render canvas, which supports native OS backends.
    IP

emulated libraries? huh? GTK isn't an emulated library, it's just a set of GUI widgets, wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows) uses it on Linux or BSDs.
    What kind of PC do you have? Inkscape loads after a second or two on my PC, is pretty stable, but really really slow.
    Got any proof that the toolbars are treated as separate apps? Because my Windows install doesn't see them as such.
    They won't use cairo, as their own renderer is much faster. And Cairo only recently got to version 1.0, it's a slowcoach. There's no reason to use Cairo yet and if it doesn't get much faster, I doubt Xara guys will ever use it.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Slapo
    emulated libraries? huh? GTK isn't an emulated library, it's just a set of GUI widgets, wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows) uses it on Linux or BSDs.
    What kind of PC do you have? Inkscape loads after a second or two on my PC, is pretty stable, but really really slow.
    Got any proof that the toolbars are treated as separate apps? Because my Windows install doesn't see them as such.
    They won't use cairo, as their own renderer is much faster. And Cairo only recently got to version 1.0, it's a slowcoach. There's no reason to use Cairo yet and if it doesn't get much faster, I doubt Xara guys will ever use it.
    I am running Pentium II 400, on Windows, which runs GTK+ app in emulated mode in Windows.
    IP

I asked Tor Lillqvist about this emulation thingy, here's what he said (used with permission):

"Who would be emulating what? Especially now with cairo, most of the low-level code has been designed cross-platform from the start.

Initially indeed much work in the GTK+ porting effort was caused by the need to "emulate" low-level X11 behaviour, as GDK at first was mostly a thin layer on top of Xlib.

A GTK+ application that behaves pathologically might be much slower on Windows than on X11, because some of the GDK API is trivially implemented on top of X11, but requires lots of work on top of GDI.

GTK+ isn't any more "emulated" than the "native" widgets (the Microsoft "Common Controls", I think they are called) are. Both are built on top of the Win32 GDI.

As to wxWidgets, it uses GTK+ on X11 (Unix), but not on Windows. On Windows it presumably uses the Common Controls.

Well, there certainly are bugs and misfeatures in GTK+ on Windows, for instance related to the concepts of transient windows, window groups etc. This can be irritating indeed in applications that use lots of top-level windows, like GIMP (and presumably Inkscape, I haven't used that). I wouldn't say that "treated like an application" is correct, though. These problems will be fixed eventually.

--tml"

Pretty much says it all, doesn't it
    IP

I am running Pentium II 400, on Windows, which runs GTK+ app in emulated mode in Windows.
    Sorry, what do you mean with that? The lower levels of GTK+ on Win32, to a minor extent, can be said to "emulate" some X11 semantics, but I don't know what you mean with "runs in emulated mode"?

That said, a PII 400 is certainly not the kind of machine one can expect snappy GTK+ application behaviour on, if the application is much complex at all, or does things in a way which is painful to handle on Win32. On the other hand, my previous machine was a PIII 450, and GIMP was quite usable on it.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus
    I hope not. The GTK2.6 file dialogs are HORRIBLE. If XaraLX uses them it will alienate a lot of users.
    IP