Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default This is a great thing!

Wow, looks like I get to be the first to post here. How cool.

Anyway, I just want to say that this could not be better, or more welcome news! I think the open source community will find XaraX to be an incredibly handy tool in their pockets. In the vector graphics/web layout arena, there's nothing XaraX can't do. I've made everything from high-rez, very organic texture maps for 3D rendered objects, Flash assets for online cartoons, party invitations, even whole web site designs with it.

I've used Xara for at least 9 or 10 years and can attest to what an amazing program it is. It has been able to do for years what Illustrator and other vector programs are now just catching up to. And XaraX does it MUCH more quickly and interactively.

Just today I was sitting behind a friend who was trying to get some work done in Illustrator. It was buggy and slow and he was constantly cursing at it. I had handed him off some art I had made in Xara for him to work with the type (I'm very bad with type, but good with illustration). Anyhow, as I watched him try and make changes and have it completely misbehave I was not impressed.

I switched to a Mac earlier this year and have easily replaced all my other applications to do lots of other tasks...except for XaraX. So this could not be better. I've begged for a better vector application since I got the machine.

Another thing I hope would be to get the chance to make some changes in the few areas where I would make changes...I'd love to be able to move down my list of fonts and see my text on the page change, instead of having to double click the font...little things like that.

So, welcome all you open source guys to a really great program that once again, I can attest to being REALLY quite wonderful. And thanks to Xara for making this cool leap.

AT
    Last edited by TangoX; 12 October 2005 at 02:49 AM. Reason: new thoughts
    IP

Default Re: This is a great thing!

Sounds like my dreams come true. For years CorelDRAW (now CorelDESIGNER) was the only reason to keep Win on my PC. Even CorelDesigner is started automatically with windows since this the only soft I use under win. So now I have a hope that after year or two I will kill win and forget about it as if it was just a nightmare...)))

On of the best IT-news I had in the last months..)) Thanx
    IP

Default Re: This is a great thing!

BTW: Great FAQ! I wish I were a programmer to help you. Unfortunately I am not (actually not in the field you need). But I can help with translation when you'll need that..))
    IP

Thumbs up Re: This is a great thing!

What now seems like a very long time ago I bought a new graphics programme at a (I think) PCS show in London, probably Earls Court, later in the show the same programme was on sale on the Corel stand!
    One of the very few reasons I have ever regretted switching entirely away from Windows onto Linux is that I couldn't run Xara any longer, I will happily buy a copy of the free linux version when you get that far! Until then I shall wish you all the best and simply regret my skillset doesn't match your current needs and dream of the day when "apt-get install xara" is all I need to make a perfect graphics station!
    IP

Talking Re: This is a great thing!

I have also been using Xara in different forms for about 15years. The first program I used was on an Acorn Achimedes.

In my oppinion it is the ultimate in vector drawing programs - I am so glad that it going to be avilable on Linux - I've just started using Suse Linux.

gareth
    IP