Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

well i installed mine this morning, and so far so good. looks like corel is using 6.1 to kick off their macworld appearance.

stecyk66r
    IP

well i installed mine this morning, and so far so good. looks like corel is using 6.1 to kick off their macworld appearance.

stecyk66r
    IP

Suggestion for anyone wanting to install the "Final" Painter 6.1 patch:

It might be good for everyone to read the Corel Painter newsgroups before installing this patch, especially:

corelsupport.painter

Several people have reported problems ranging from having trouble downloading the patch to having all of the shortcuts on their desktop disappear.

I'm gonna wait a while 'til the dust settles. Corel is probably still watching to see what new bugs appear.

A few people have said it's working fine, but it's only been a day or so since it was available. Hopefully, it'll keep being fine for them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

I am with Jinny. I still do not feel like being a pioneer.
    IP

After a number of failed download attempts and a lot of screwy behavior from the Corel site, I'm backing off too. Something is obviously not right yet, and I don't want to have to hassle with untangling my system.
    IP

boy, there seems to be a lot people having problems with the 6.1 patch. i've been noticing some people using os 8.6 having problems getting their installer to work. all i can say is that my first attempt failed to install but my second one, an.hqx file, was a snap. everything is fine.

stecyk66
    IP

Posted on the PainterWorld list yesterday (paraphrased/pared down to essentials):

The person posting said he had a serious problem installing the new patch over the 6.1 beta patch. Doing so from the Desktop on a PC wiped the desktop clean except for system items, folders, and newly-installed Painter 6.1 "garbage dumped there". Evidently it cleans out *whatever* directory you install from as someone on the newsgroup reported it wiped their *entire root directory*!!!

He said that this is no joke . . . he spent the lst few hours with a recovery program because he'd been lazy recently and had files on the Desktop that weren't backed up anywhere. He suggested, if you have any doubts as to the veracity of this report please take time to confirm by looking on the Painter support newsgroup.

He said that he reinstalled Painter 6 then the 6.03 patch THEN the new final patch, it *did not* erase either a file or a link put on the Desktop to test it.

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

After reading all the warnings here and elsewhere I decided to install the patch from a zip drive. I also put some dummy files on the zip disk to see if anything happened to the directory.

I'm almost sorry to say that the thing installed perfectly; very boring! The only problem I have now is that Painter is so crammed with features that a/ I don't know where to start, and b/ I need a bigger monitor.

I would recommend anyone to install the patch with the following precautions just in case there is anything in the directory-wrecking stories:

1) Put the patch in an empty directory and install from there.
    2) If the install crashes, do as the documentation says. Uninstall your current version of Painter and any patches, save any custom stuff to a safe directory, reinstall Painter, than apply only the latest 6.1 patch.

Happy painting

Tom
    IP