Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I am the novice visitor, back to ask strange questions. Hey, it's what I do.

I made something in Painter Classic that I liked, printed it out, then program quit unexpectedly. So, I scanned the picture back in. Took forever. Opened it in Photoshop. Took forever and another hour. Sent it to someone via email who said she went to the store because the download of attachment was taking so long. It never opened. I saw that the file size was 4 megs but it's only a 5x7. I downloaded it into Painter and it was huge with an attitude. And, of course, took forever to download. Mac 266 with 160 RAM running on OS9. Any insights will result in my cyberkissing your feet.

I wanted to download pic into a post but confess I don't know how to convert to HTML or even how to download it.

Queen of perplexities.*
    IP

jinny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

wow . am i correct in assuming that you love every bit of painter 6! seriously comprehensive stuff. have you thought of providing tutorials for the designer.com section on the corel site? you'd be the natural choice, i think. seems to be a lot of new people getting into painter lately.

marah

to add to what jinny has stated. unlike windows, mac os doesn't provide a nifty preview of a file in the folder window ( a feature in Os X! ) so you'll have to do a single click on the jpeg file then do a file>get info>general information, dance to see the file size. you can also try making jpegs in photoshop too. know also that different monitors are going to display at different dimensions depending on the size of monitor and the display resolution. to preview how your jpeg image will appear in the browser window for your particular monitor, just simply open up a netscape or explorer window and drag the jpeg into it. the browser will load it and display it as it will appear. experiment this way till you find a good configuration with which to standardize

stecyk66
    IP

marah

are you working on an iMac or do you have a beige G3 tower? did painter quit with a type 2 error or a type 3 error? i'm trying to figure out what could be causing your system slowdown ( yes, i'm also determined to get some cyberkisses [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]). 4 MB is not a large file size to be causing this much trouble. as for sending images via e-mail, 4 MB is big especially for someone with a slow 'net connection. your slow system performance is probably not related to the slow internet download times. next time co nvert your pictures to jpegs 30 -100 KB in size. the dimensions have nothing to do with speed, it's the file size that counts. if you decide to post in this forum a dimension like 4x3 or 3x3 at 72-150 dpi in jpeg format at 50 -30 KB in size would fit well in the body of the forum. there is no need for your picture to be an html document to upload as general attachment.
    what is your memory allocation for photoshop and painter? it might be advisable to increase the prefered memory to both of them. is your hard drive jam packed?...... just thinkin' here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

stecyk66
    IP

Stecyk,

This won't give you the file sizes but in Painter (and I don't recall if this has already been mentioned in this thread), when you use:

File menu, Open

click any file in the list, then click the Browse button and wait a few seconds while the files are displayed in thumbnails. Any file that was saved from inside of Painter and hasn't been moved from another folder since then will be displayed in the thumbnails. Once a file is moved to another folder, unless the Preview file is moved with it, it won't be displayed as a thumbnail.

With some pre-planning, any folder's contents can be represented as thumbnails if that's important to the Painter user.

Doug,

Thanks for the good link for Scan Tips! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Merry Christmas to all

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Thank you both so much. You've given me a lot of great information and I really do appreciate it.

And Jinny, as far as "downtalking" goes, I always feel it's better that way, just in case. It just shows you're a good teacher. About the iTools, what Athena said. It's really for any Mac user who goes into the icards and can opt for iTools if they'd like. I started with and still use Earthlink (I've only been on-line since March '99) and will definitely check out... that thing you mentioned (THAT was techspeak for sure!).

Athena, thank you for your response. I've got a lot of learning to do and am looking forward to it.

I have two sisters who work in computer education. One for a company in New Mexico and one for CWIT in Maryland. They're both very gifted teachers. You both remind me of them, and I'm really grateful.

Thanks again..
    IP

Marah,

It's difficult to be everywhere at once.. you're forgiven. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Glad to have you back again! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    IP

I am the novice visitor, back to ask strange questions. Hey, it's what I do.

I made something in Painter Classic that I liked, printed it out, then program quit unexpectedly. So, I scanned the picture back in. Took forever. Opened it in Photoshop. Took forever and another hour. Sent it to someone via email who said she went to the store because the download of attachment was taking so long. It never opened. I saw that the file size was 4 megs but it's only a 5x7. I downloaded it into Painter and it was huge with an attitude. And, of course, took forever to download. Mac 266 with 160 RAM running on OS9. Any insights will result in my cyberkissing your feet.

I wanted to download pic into a post but confess I don't know how to convert to HTML or even how to download it.

Queen of perplexities.*
    IP

Thanks, Jinny. You explained it very well. When I scanned it back in, I reduced the dpi from 600 to 300 because of the trouble I was having. But that put it at 4 megs. The file has some complexity to it (mosaic style); I'm not sure why I didn't think of that (or why I typed download instead of upload). (Brain...screaming...for...vacation.)

I also forgot that converting something to HTML prepares a doc for upload to a connected site (i.e., recognizes my HD). Once out here in the floater zone, that doc has to be in the Web environment already in order to be recognized with UBB/HTML. (Brain...pleading shamelessly...for...time...off.)

In other words, I think (actually, not very well right now... work should be really interesting), I need a bridge between my HD and the Web through either my web page (non-existent but can make one through Earthlink) or through another vehicle like iTools. Is that accurate?

Thank you so much. Learning curves are wonderful things.

Hope you have a good day.§
    IP

Hello marah!

as you can see we're always glad to help in whatever way we can on this forum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Umm first. . . I believe that most ISPs (Internet Service Providers) of all flavors (grape, tangerine, blueberry, strawberry, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) give their customers a maximum of 5 MB (megabytes) of space for email so attachments to friends should be less than that (just in case they get email from people other than you. . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

My impression would be that if you intend to share many files with this friend you should take advantage of the ITools server space to share your files...

If I recall from a visit to the apple site back in one of the previous Steve Jobs grandiose speeches, iTools is a service to all New Mac owners (possibly to previous mac customers as well) that allows mac users to have something of a virtual office online.... where they can move their files to their server space on iTools and they can grant permission to friends to access those files . . . (this circumvents the need for emailing attachments or for zip disks or cds or floppies.. what macs have floppies anymore anyway?)

Again if I recall correctly, iTools would be distinct from having a web page... because it is, in effect allowing you to have the ability to FTP (File Transfer Protocol.. in geekspeak) your files to your account in the iTools service but you and your friend don't need to have any knowledge or special program for the specific purpose of doing FTP.

(heheh those of us w/o macs can use similar services free from corel's Designer.com... or from excite.com or xoom.com . .. .personally, I think Designer.com is less prone to send you junk email ... at least at the present they are. .. .kindof a neat concept for sharing files with associates)

Marah, Jinny is right FTP is a skill you'll want to get acquainted with for future web page publishing and ... no it isn't rocket science... but do give yourself time... you've got plenty to learn as it is .. ..without adding learning to FTP to your plate...

If the image you were going to send is only meant for email or placement on a web page.... go ahead and take your 4 MB file and resample (in painter 6 resize) the resolution down to 72 dpi.

when I scan an image, I scan for the detail that I want.. then I make color and detail corrections on the scan . ..then I resample down to 72ppi (72ppi. . . is the lowest common denominator for screen graphics this includes macs. ...if you were focusing on only pc customers then I believe 96 ppi would be the way to go... but I just get lazy and stick with 72)

And AFTER I have resampled to 96 or 72 ppi, I check the dimensions of the image.. because reducing the scan from say... 300 ppi to 72 ppi can cause the actual dimensions of the image to change. (at least that has been my experience) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I hope i haven't muddied the waters for you.. feel free to ask about anything that needs further clafification.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(dec 23, 2000) heh heh revisionist history strikes again! I corrected the Corel URL I had mistyped earlier... correct name is Designer.com as Stecyk mentions in a later post)

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on December 23, 2000 at 04:11 AM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

hi Stecyk,

Yes, I love (almost) every bit of Painter (scripts give me fits and movies still do also.. but then, I haven't spent a lot of time getting over those little difficulties... yet). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

No, I hadn't thought of doing the Corel (what was it? designers.com?) thing, but thanks for the suggestion and nice words about my "teaching".

You know, writing out something to explain it to someone else helps to clarify it in one's own mind too.. so I learn while I attempt to help someone else learn.. and always welcome feedback on anything I write along these lines since it's easy to be wrong.. or at least leave something out/make it less than clear.

On another subject: Are you kidding? Mac users can't see file sizes? I sure could when I used Macs a year or two ago when taking graphics classes. I was referring to checking file sizes in the file manager (whatever Mac calls that).. where you can see all the folders and files on your hard drive.

Jinny Brown
    IP