Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi everyone,
    I've decided to stop "lurking" and come out of the shadows. I've been using Painter now for about 21/2 years. I guess I'm what Athena calls a Student, having had no artistic training (and lacking artistic talent as well, I'm afraid!) I've taught myself Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., but now need to begin to "think like an artist", i.e. find a project that inspires me, plan how to create it, then go to work. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learned the mechanics of the program, now I need to just start creating. I hope you'll all help me in my desire to be an artist, even if it's not a great one. Thanks for listening. tomm [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi everyone,
    I've decided to stop "lurking" and come out of the shadows. I've been using Painter now for about 21/2 years. I guess I'm what Athena calls a Student, having had no artistic training (and lacking artistic talent as well, I'm afraid!) I've taught myself Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., but now need to begin to "think like an artist", i.e. find a project that inspires me, plan how to create it, then go to work. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learned the mechanics of the program, now I need to just start creating. I hope you'll all help me in my desire to be an artist, even if it's not a great one. Thanks for listening. tomm [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi tomm and Welcome,
    That is a tall order, I hope we can help.

Greg.
    IP

Hello Tomm !

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

I think I understand what you mean by mentioning that you are self taught in your programs of choice. When a person chooses to teach themselves a subject, they set a project to accomplish with a program and learn through trial and error how to get the project done. (possibly with the help of some valued books . . . aside from the manual [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]).

Yet the program Painter can be enigmatic because this program doesn't lend itself to brochure or logo design, it seems best created for making "art".

Quite possibly, if you've had no "formal art classes" and don't feel comfortable with your drawing skill, you might feel "unartistic". But a part of me thinks that "unartistic" can be a limiting phrase. Your artistic skills may be currently undeveloped but they are there none the less. Any time you look at an image and say "I like the way that looks" you've used some of your own personal artistic sense to judge that image.

And so I interpret your intro to also be asking for some guidance on how to develop your artistic skills.

I think everyone has artistic ability. But I draw lines between drawing and painting and art. I don't think that they are interchangeable words.

I think you can make an attractive "artistic" piece without knowing how to draw at all. Yet we often say, "I can't draw" therefore "I'm not artistic".

Bruce, in the mental blocks thread, shows an attractive piece that, as he points out, did not require much "artistic" skill. And then he names some of the artistic principles that you can see are in the piece. I would have said that the piece didn't require much "artistic" skill nor did it require any "fancy drawing" skills. But that is because I (rightly or wrongly) draw distinctions between drawing skill, painting skill, and artistic skill.

But I'll hop over to that thread soon to talk about some of those items.

Anyway, I hope that we'll get to some info on the basic defintitions and examples of art concepts. And hopefully we'll put it together in a way that will make sense. I'm working on bringing you some stuff I had planned earlier so the drawing and art concepts are on my ToDo list. But if anyone has time to discuss one or two basic art and/or drawing concepts, they are more than welcome to pick up a thread [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

So thanks for materializing into this forum (ok, coming out of the shadows). We welcome you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PS I hope to have some more experiments up here by the end of this week (this is not a promise just a goal
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Tomm,

I promised I'd hop over to BR's Mental Blocks thread "soon". Sorry.

Can you tell I'm an avid Xara user as well? Looks like I'm not the only one who misses deadlines.

I try to make promises that I can keep. Sorry about the delay. Hope something here proves helpful.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP