Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New user to Xara Graphics progs

Hi all, I am a relatively new user to the Xara X1 prog (and obviously now using the Xtreme trial - can't wait to buy the upgrade btw) and am very impressed. I still use PSP for certain jobs, and have been a user of realdraw pro for a few years. I tend to open Xara first now, but would dearly have liked to see the pushback feature that realdraw has (easy way to draw olympic circles for instance) - then i wouldn't open realdraw at all !!

Default Re: New user to Xara Graphics progs

Not familiar with that tool, but Xara can copy shapes very easily... There is copy/paste, cntrl-k and rightclicking while dragging which are the ways I use the most.

Hi John. it's a realdraw tool, best way to explain is if for example you draw two rings, place them so that they overlap, then if you want one of the overlaps to appear under the other ring whilst leaving one overlap on top, you simple, using the pushback tool draw a small circle over where the two rings overlap and hey presto, that overlap then goes underneath leaving the other one on top, no need for cloning or anything else.
    Not complaining, but sure would be useful in Xtreme

I didn't know what it was either, but a quick Google search soon found a good explanation: http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/help/pushback.htm

Does it make exporting to non-native formats difficult?

Hi Daniel,
    Realdraw will export in the usual graphics format as in the attachment - easier than typing.
    I feel, having now used Xara, that if there were any effects that were easier to do in Realdraw I would do them there, and then finish off in Xara - I've got to say Xara's shadow is the best I've used yet !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002 05-10-10, 15_38_.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	21100  

It's fantastic isn't it. It's not really until you use something else that you realise how good and how easy it is to work with.

With the exports - sorry, I meant other vector formats that support only the traditional concept of "z-index" layering of one object on top and others behind it.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, but I'm not quite with you (my fault, not yours) it will do a pure vector export for use in CAD etc, but that may not be what you mean.

Realdraw trial is generally included on PC magazine CDs at the moment and is worth an install for anyone to see what it does for them.