Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Digital Image Editing Service Providers

More and more I'm being asked by digital camera owners about editing their less than perfect images. These are folks who love taking pictures with their "Point 'n Shoot" devices, wish to have them edited, but DO NOT wish to purchase image editing software packages and commit the time required to learn how to use them. Nor are they interested in "live" online editing services that subscribe to a "do-it-yourself" methodology. They simply want their images "fixed" by a main stream service and are willing to pay for the same without a lot of hassle.

I've been searching for easy-to-use web-based services for the same, but have found very few. If you are aware of a web site that does this, please reply with the URL of the service.
    Lonnie

Default Re: Digital Image Editing Service Providers

Here is a link that's been sitting in my bookmark for years.
    http://www.retouch.ca/
    The before and after shots are amazing.

Thanks, Grafixman. I've visited Glenn Honiball's site many times. He is truly talented. However, his is a very high end service meant for Fortune 500 clients. I'm looking for sites that offer basic editing services to the average Joe.
    Lonnie

Based on the lack of responses, I'm thinking this type of service might be worth looking into doing. What do y'all think?
    Lonnie

Digital cameras are getting smarter and smarter. Not sure about most people using them, though. So, yes, there is a need to be filled here. But pricing could be tough. Some photos have "FROM HELL" written all over it. Fixing those would be tough and probably take a lot of time. How to keep prices low while still making it profitable would be a challenge. And good enough is often subjective. Then there's the marketing and advertising side. How to get your services known. In real life, it's mostly from word of mouth. But it's very easy to get buried under the pile if it's going to be web based. But you've done this professionally, Lonnie, so I guess you have a solid plan for the venture.
    What the heck. Go for it. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Lonnie,

Let me toss my 2 cents in here also....

As you are Web savvy -- many sites (no matter how good or honest) will simply get burried in the avalanche of things that are available out there... In this field it might be pretty much impossible to get potential clients, unless you pay for them to come and check out your site. Or if you are patient and promote the site over a long period of time... Or use your other sites to stear targetted traffic for this venture.

However, I do think there is a market. A good site might "over time" do well... But if I would give this a go, I would target people locally first... Everyone takes snap-shots - Everyone wants their "snap-shots/master pieces" to look better. It's so much easier to sell things when you get to physically meet people... Word of mouth is an amazing things... Friends and family (and their friends and family) - is a lot of people!

Go for it!
    Last edited by RTK; 07 October 2005 at 03:12 AM.

Grafixman: At this point I don't think pricing is going to be too tough to formulate. As long as the expectations and limitations are well defined, time requirements should also be relatively easy to determine. The subjective nature of such a service is a concern, but again I think proper customer service policies can keep such issues to a minimum.

Risto: I agree that publicity will be a challenge. I do have some promotional ideas in mind to address that concern. I certainly wouldn't expect "overnight" success as gradual success "over time" fits my vision just fine.

My initial thoughts are to make this a 100% browser-based service. I'd avoid any "physical handling" of customer property (liability and all that). I'd start with a very basic "once over" type enhancement service and gradually expand to include more advanced editing services. I think it'd be valuable also, to complement the service itself with a educational resource about basic digital photography on the website.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this sort of service?
    Lonnie

Hi Lonk,
    Not sure if what you are suggesting will work from up/down load service with the editing being done by scripts. I used to work in a small print shop and we did great biz by re-touching old photo's and the wacking them through a laser and charging the customer about $4 for an A4 sheet. people want touchy feelly things something to hold in their hands not something they then have to save and send to the printer. Look at all the software thats available from the printer manufacturers like HP who give you software that with one button clicks auto corrects the colour, another click removes red eye, another click adjust brightness and all of this done inside the printer from a simple interface. Even with this on offer people still do not use it.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Dear Lonk. Are you open for companies that can help your image editing needs like the company I work for? Tailor-made solutions, Very cost effective with good turnaround times. You can try visiting:http://www.jaincotech.com/