Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Default Re: XaraX2 request for Charles Moir: re:eps import

Maak, I've been posting little tips just about every time I post Images in the Xara gallery for CMYK Xara seps. But it's all so fragmented & who wants to read a bunch of old post searching for something like this?

I'd be more than willing to contribute to something of this nature. Although my area of print is different, there are similarities & parallels.

When separating Xara art in Xara. I've had to learn many different approaches for dealing with difficult Xara RGB related issues. Over time, "Necessity became my Mother of Invention". I'm Still learning as I go though... Every Graphic offers new challenges as I get bolder with the use of Xara RGB effects in the designs.

Regarding Export of Xara files. Much prep has to be done in Xara to get them to a point of export to other programs (unfortunate side effect). If I can get it into CMX safely, it can be transferred from Draw to pretty much any program or format that's needed, at least for me. Not every Xara drawing can make the transition. For the most part, it depends on the tools you used to create the file.

I have had success Exporting EPS files from Xara for simple one color or flat multi color designs. You have to prep the art first. No overlapping shapes or Xara RGB effects. (including Glass, mold, bevel, shadow & to some extent the contour tool). Basically the file has to be stripped down, everything converted to shapes or objects. It's allot of work but it can be done.

Fortunate for me I've learned to work in Xara without using the RGB tools. Or once used, converting them to shapes & breaking them apart so they can be taken across to other programs. You do what you have to do when the end game (Xara separation of art) rule or govern the creation process. If you wear the end game hat while working in Xara, it can be done. It creates a handicap of sorts but makes everything easier at the finish line (Seps)

If you can start the Guest Tutorial ball rolling Maak, I'll be right there with you. We can Tag team the thing, this is a subject that I may be able to contribute a great deal to. The more folks jumping in & helping the better. I"m sure many folks here have experience with printing & exporting of Xara files.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

This is going to be my last comment on this subject for a while. I was doing the usual Stumble Upon last night and I was taken to Xara.com and I thought while I am here I would have a good look about. Low and behold there was a PDF on how to create a "PDF" and I thought hey I will have a look at that.

Here is the link http://www.xara.com/support/xarax/hints/xarax.pdf

They make soung so easy.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi wW,

I totally agree with you concerning the possibility and/or necessity to avoid using the "RGB"-tools. But [insert harsh word here] it's especially these tools that make creating "art" so much easier and a lot of fun.

I regard Xara X as a tool for artists, not for screen-designers. Creativity dies, when you have to "think" your images the way _the program can achieve _what was inteded. Sorry for souding depressive here...

But yes, I guess we should start a bunch of threads in the forum with "print/export/import issues", if there is enough people out there willing to contribute. Should have been done years ago, I bet :-)

Anyone else interested?
    Let's start collecting specific themes...

listening:maak.

Lightbulb Re: XaraX2 request for Charles Moir: re:eps import

Quote Originally Posted by maak
    I regard Xara X as a tool for artists, not for screen-designers. Creativity dies, when you have to "think" your images the way _the program can achieve _what was inteded. Sorry for souding depressive here...
    listening:maak.
    I'm not so sure that creativity dies like you say. Avoiding Xara RGB tools is a handicap of sorts - yes, but I don't think designing this way has to be a source of "lacking in the artistic, layout or design compartments." The process is the process, whatever it takes to get the job done. A good artist should be able to use 1 color or full color, flat or dimentional shading & get the image to look good. Heck, many an illustrator make a fine living with linework alone...

In the end I'm not so sure the work suffers because of it. It's just a different process is all, I choose not to use all the tools that Xara has to offer. Within these bounds, creativity still flourishes. How could it not? Besides not everything I do or have done is for screen print.

Isn't it a relative thing? If your an artist, you will be able to create with & in any program that one finds comfortable or compatable. I've gone from job site to job site with Xara, each had a different process or end goal. Xara proved itself a valuable asset, flexible enough to accommodate just about anything thrown at it along the way, Raster or Vector.

Bottom line. Xara is a tool that does what you tell it. An extension of the one using it, Regardless of profession.

Dag, I always thought of myself as an artist working in the screen print industry using Xara to get the job done.

Sorry if I read too much into your quote. Perhaps, Getting defensive I guess...
    ----------- _~o

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

@ Maak,

2) Export There doesn't seem to be a single program in the market, that can compute (say: place) Xara-EPS files. Very annoying, especially when working with printing bureaus. I always hear, they cannot open these EPS. Working via PDF also doesn't come always perfect :-(
    Install a PostScript driver like a Linotronic (port on 'File') and print the *.eps - never had any problems with it.

--------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Brilliant as XX is as an illustration tool, I long ago gave up using it for anything pertaning to printing and CMYK work. It's great for all kinds of RGB art, but for CMYK -- and related print technlogies like EPS -- XX just doesn't cut it. Until and unless Xara fixes this area -- which is very, very hard to do right -- my best advice is to stay away from XX for CMYK/EPS. I know Xara and Charles understandably hates hearing this, but facts are facts.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Klaus, I'm pretty sure that the way I use CMYK is different from yours. But the way Xara prints them & the issues we face while printing from Xara is very much the same. RGB & CMYK do not mix. If they addressed this in some way with the next release it would be most helpful. I have to agree with you there.

I'll use the CMYK option when I've got a 4 or less color job. Substituting each CMY&K color for a spot print color, It has worked well for me. Getting Xara art to print stage is another hurdle all-together. Sometimes I'll use CMYK & new layers to print. The new layers will have all the colors white but one. The color to be printed is turned black or shades thereof. This way I don't get the RGB-CMYK conflict while printing a color plate in normal print mode.

I'm guessing the workarounds aren't worth it for other types of CMYK printing. I can only imagine how much time some work would take to prep for print from Xara. Processing of the Xara file for Sep takes time & effort, even for the simple stuff I do. Even still, some files get too complicated & I have to export as TIF & go straight to Photoshop for Channel seps. Oh well, all in a days work, whatever it takes eh?

An RGB work mode option or a viewable layer by layer CMYK print option would be helpful. Like you say, it is kind of broke in it's current print configuration. It gets the job done, but the work around's can get to you on some projects. Eventually Xara will get there, it's just how long can you afford wait. For me the workaround work.
    ----------- _~o

Maybe an approach like in Illustrator could be a good idea: you set the document's global color space to _either_ RGB _or_ CMYK, with no possibilitiy of mixing the two modes later. In XX, there is no "hand-holding" regarding color space, and all kinds of mixes seem possible -- which will in most cases result in problems later in the workflow. I cannot count all the times I have _thought_ I defined nothing but CMYK colors, but some little RGB bastard was stuck in there nevertheless.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

It can be troublesome. The workaraounds are always lurking under the surface. Hitting the print button brings many surprises. Ghost lines in CMYK are the things I deal with most. I have to scrape them off the vellum with an exacto. Sometimes this can take quite a bit of time, other times I have to look for other solutions for output or file setup.

If someone at Xara Ltd wanted to see an example of the ghost lines that show in a CMYK sep I've attached a file for print sampling. All the colors are CMY or K so RGB shouldn't be showing up, but they do. Must be something hidden or a mix of CMYK & RGB going on somewhere in the tools code. Then again, it could be something I'm doing.... hope not
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wW; 22 September 2005 at 06:24 PM.
    ----------- _~o