Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Talking Re: XaraX2 request for Charles Moir: re:eps import

Ross,

The .eps filter works for me if I'm use an Adobe Illustrator .eps. I know it makes an extra step if you have to bring it into Adobe Illustrator and save it back to a version 8.eps. I do what I need to do until the software improves to the point that I don't need to do the extra steps.

Jerry

Default Re: XaraX2 request for Charles Moir: re:eps import

"that the next release will not have a PDF import capability. " - Charles

Ummm... Guys...

Charles is not the kind to tell what is under development, but...

X2 will not have PDF input capability, but... will it have PDF export? Hmmm... sometimes what is not said is much more revealing than what is said.

I think a built in PDF export would be a great thing... I use xara more for creation than for final touches anyway... Xara=> to lesser graphic programs for final tweaking.

Ross,
    I have never had much luck with the EPS filter either. I just stopped trying.

(This portion of my post has been deleted due to it sounding more like a RANT than a constructive comment ... which was not the intent.)
    Last edited by OklaEd; 20 September 2005 at 12:59 PM.

Ross, I ONLY spoke against PDF import. ONLY that. I never said a word about EPS. And why opposing that Xara spend coding resources on such a somewhat esoteric function as PDF import should be "insulting", I quite fail to see.

For my needs, it's getting stuff OUT of XX which needs help -- especially layered PSD files. Now THAT would be a major productivity enhancer for zillions of users -- instead of exporting separate bitmap files and assembling them in Photoshop. I have long ago given up on XX's EPS exports, these are too complex and often problematic to use. Xara have never fully mastered PostScript-related stuff, not that I blame them much, as this is harrrrrd.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Guys, ask for SDK (not for EPS/AI/PDF) then it could be any I/O filter
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by

I second Dimitry !

kindly,
    ivan

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'm sorry Klaus. I had incorrectly perceived your earlier post as suggesting that Xara Ltd. shouldn't use their limited resources on improving any importers.

Regards, Ross

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Regarding the SDK, am I understanding it correctly that if that SDK was made available to developers like Dimetry, then those developers could make things like importers/exporters and other add-ons that work with the program?

Does releasing the SDK to select developers raise security or intellectual property right concerns for Xara? I guess what I'm asking is what's the downside or risk for Xara Ltd.?

Regards, Ross

I have read all the comments made here and i agree with most of of them. All I want is a more reliable way of getting my work to the printer cos at the moment I have to use AI and that means alot of jumping around and watching what sort of drawing I am doing and this is very limiting from a crreative point of view and it certainly slows down the work flow. Dimitri asks for a SDK import/export which would still mean extra tasks. I do not know the ins and outs of pdf's like Klaus so I can't make any comments there but I really thought that this time Xara would include pdf's from Charles's earlier comments on this board.
    Last edited by Albacore; 19 September 2005 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi all,

I must say, I'm also a bit unhappy about the filter situation.

Just two examples:

1) Import
    Every 6 months, I create a 100-page catalog for a german medical company (all done in Xara!), and I'm now getting more and more CMYK-JPEGs. Unluckily, Xara cannot cope with these. So I have to import the images to another program first, convert them to CMYK-TIFF, then save them back and finally import them into X. BTW: Does X consider embedded ICM-profiles? And if so, how does it do it?

2) Export
    There doesn't seem to be a single program in the market, that can compute (say: place) Xara-EPS files. Very annoying, especially when working with printing bureaus. I always hear, they cannot open these EPS. Working via PDF also doesn't come always perfect :-(

Bearing all the printing-/filter-oddities in mind, I suggest, we collect our experiences and build up a "Guest tutorial: Printing/Exporting/Importing", written by the whole community.

Just my two (Euro-)Cents...

bye:maak.