Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Webstyle 4 and new Dreamweaver 8

Hello everyone,

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver to create my webpages and have been using Dreamweaver MX with XARA Webstyle 4 to create site graphics and navigation bars.

A couple of days ago I upgraded to the new Dreamweaver 8, just released, and find there is no longer an option in the insert menu of Dreamweaver for XARA Webstyle objects. There is a little graphic in the 'Common' commands section that brings up Webstyle 4 but navigation bars created with it cause script errors in the pages. (ParentObj has no properties)

I tried uninstalling Webstyle 4, then reinstalling it and also ran the install for the script to make Webstyle 4 and Dreamweaver interactive. I think the script is for Dreamweaver MX and does not work with the new DW-8 ver.

Is there a current solution to the integration of Dreamweaver 8 and Webstyle 4 or is one planned any time soon? As it stands I can no longer create and edit Webstyle 4 menus in my webpages and will need to do something fast.

Requests to XARA support have gone unanswered for a couple of days and I imagine that department is busy with the problems caused by this new Macromedia release.

Thank you in advance for comments.

Mike in Houston

Default Re: Webstyle 4 and new Dreamweaver 8

I am having issues with this also, Dreamweaver 8 will show Webstyle menus but when I try to edit them it throws an error, graphics are fine to edit though!!!
    I have put in a ticket but like you, NO answer.

As I have commented elsewhere, DW8 is not yet available in the UK. Xara *may* have got a copy from somewhere, but it is difficult for us mere mortal users to help you.

There is a lesson in this experience; test new software for interoperability before you make an upgrade!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stlewis
    There is a lesson in this experience; test new software for interoperability before you make an upgrade!
    I have been testing it for a while with various projects, Webstyle being nearly last alphabetically is why this as only just come to light for myself.

PS: Dreamweaver 8 is available in the UK.

Aahah...

But judging from my quick flit round some online shops, not much sign of upgrades and not many copies of the full caboodle! A bit more time to save up.

Back on topic though... is it essential to get at Webstyle *from* DW? It's the tag in the page that is key so you can update the graphics etc from outside and the changes will be reflected in the pages. And if you put the javascript outside, then WS can handle that too...

Here is my own example:

<script webstyle4>document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="../navbar/buying/xaramenu.js">'+'</scr'+'ipt>');document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="../navbar/buying/buying.js">'+'</scr'+'ipt>');/*img src="../navbar/buying/buying.gif" moduleid="BaB (Project)\buying_off.xws"*/</script>
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I am in the UK and have upgrqded to Dreamweaver 8 - the only problem to date is the script error parentobj has no properties, but this can be ignored (for while).
    I too have had no response from Xara - something would be nice..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Houston
    Is there a current solution to the integration of Dreamweaver 8 and Webstyle 4 or is one planned any time soon? As it stands I can no longer create and edit Webstyle 4 menus in my webpages and will need to do something fast.
    I also purchased Dreamweaver 8 and have the same problem with Webstyle 4.

UPDATE:
    I got an email from support with a zip attachment and the following instructions. This appears to have worked.

Please uninstall the Xara Dreamweaver extension preferably before upgrading to dreamweaver 8. Having upgraded, please re-install the extension from xara.com/downloads/addins.asp

Next copy the files within the zip file to the following locations overwriting the current files.

WS4DwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8 \Configuration\Shared\WsDwExShared\

WS3DwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8 \Configuration\Shared\WsDwExShared\

XMMDwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8 \Configuration\Shared\XmmDwExShared\

restart Dreamweaver and this should resolve the problem. please let us know if any additional problems are encountered.
    Last edited by christianweb; 23 September 2005 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Update

I understand that Xara Support team is now providing a fix. Please contact the support team from http://xara.com/support/contact.asp for more information

Xara folks replied but had not updated all the files their link pointed to and after a second inquiry they quickly replied with instructions same as before but this time with updated linked files. My Xara Webstyle 4 now works with Dreamweaver 8, Thank you Xara!

One small problem to still fix, you must click on the graphic icon for Xara 4 to insert a graphic, there is no option in the Text Pulldown Menu like there was before the update.

Link for downloading files to update
    Xara Webstyle link to updated files to use with Dreamweaver 8

( http://downloads.xara.com/support/DW8_files.zip )

Instructions from Xara follow-------------------

Please uninstall the Xara Dreamweaver extension preferably before
    upgrading to dreamweaver 8. Having upgraded, please re-install the
    extension from xara.com/downloads/addins.asp

Next copy the files within the zip file to the following locations
    overwriting the current files.

WS4DwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8
    \Configuration\Shared\WsDwExShared\

WS3DwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8
    \Configuration\Shared\WsDwExShared\

XMMDwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8
    \Configuration\Shared\XmmDwExShared\

restart Dreamweaver and this should resolve the problem. please
    let us know if any additional problems are encountered.

[[One small problem to still fix, you must click on the graphic icon for Xara 4 to insert a graphic, there is no option in the Text Pulldown Menu like there was before the update]] - Hi not sure what you mean here. Can you explain further please?