Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: software

Can someone explain the differences (in general, of course) between some of the software choices. I'm just getting into graphics and probably will buy a few programs.I've had DrawPlus 7 for a while and like it because I can export in PDF. I haven't found that option and the other cheaper programs. Thanks in advance.

-Lisa

Hello Lisa,

Welcome to Talkgraphics. There are two main types of drawing programs, Vector and bitmap. Of the 2 types, Vector is the more flexible and more can be done with it graphically.

There are several major vector drawing programs on the market. Xara X1, Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Macromedia Freehand are the major ones. There are many more minor ones. Of the top 4 Xara X1 is the easiest to learn, use and costs the least. They even offer a free 15 day trial so you can see for yourself if it will work for you. See here

Compare them for yourself, and make your own call. Most people who try xara X1 love it... Ask the people here in this forum what they would use...

Hi John, yeh- I downloaded Xara and it looks great. But the forums here look like they're for pros. Is there an area where I can talk to other "newbies" and learn together? I'm not starting at zero but I've never done any artwork on the computer. I'm more interested in clipart. Thanks
    -Lisa

Post away. They won't bite your head off. Generally . The best way of learning something is by doing it. Post questions if you're stuck. Pretty soon you'll be writing tutorials.

Hello Lisa,

About half the people posting here are newbies asking questions. The majority of responders are either experienced doodlers or semi-professionals. There are only a handful of professionals and several masters.

So... Go ahead and ask away! The people here generally answer your questions quickly. The simpler the question the more ways there are to answer it. So we all learn.

For Title graphics I use Xara 3D or Cool 3D. I have photoshop but am not an engineer so can't use it. For image work I use Paintshop Pro. Hope this helps

Hi Grampa Lloyd,

My name is Lani and I've joined this forum just recently. I too am learning different things. My favorite program is Paint Shop Pro. I use version 7 although I have 8 and coming soon version 9.
    I wrote to ask you what is "Cool 3D"? I have and use Xara 3D and the Xara 3D Screen Maker.
    Where do you get that program from? I was just curious.
    Lani Girl

Lani_Girl,

I believe Grampa Lloyd is referring to Ulead "Cool 3D" ...

http://www.ulead.com/cool3d/runme.htm

Originally posted by Grampa Lloyd:
    For Title graphics I use Xara 3D or Cool 3D. I have photoshop but am not an engineer so can't use it. For image work I use Paintshop Pro. Hope this helps
    Hi
    I use paint shop 7 alot.
    But have only just bought xara 3d,1 week ago to be exact.
    If i want to take say a head from a photo and import it into xara 3d so it goes in the animation.Example inside a spinning border can i do that ?? Does it not have to a wmf file.
    Thanks for any help
    Paula

Hi Fraggle;

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm thinking that the best place for you to get an answer would probably be the Xara 3D forum. Perhaps you could give that a try if your answer doesn't appear here.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.