Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am just learning Xara X and can't figure out how to make the backgrounds transparant. I can use the tranparancy feature on the individual bitmap, or use the bitmap for a transparancy. Please HELP! I just want to be able to apply the transparancy features to the tiled bitmaps from the fill gallary, thereby making my entire background partially transparant.

Thanks in advance
    Doug King

By the way, I have made a VERY Nice interface for the Xara X users manual, it will be posted on http://12.253.220.48/XaraX_Manual

I am just learning Xara X and can't figure out how to make the backgrounds transparant. I can use the tranparancy feature on the individual bitmap, or use the bitmap for a transparancy. Please HELP! I just want to be able to apply the transparancy features to the tiled bitmaps from the fill gallary, thereby making my entire background partially transparant.

Thanks in advance
    Doug King

By the way, I have made a VERY Nice interface for the Xara X users manual, it will be posted on http://12.253.220.48/XaraX_Manual

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Please be a bit more detailed about what it is you want to do regarding "backgrounds" and transparencies. Is what you want to do for use on a webpage or just to tile in Xara? Any chance you can do a screenshot & then annotate it with regards to what you'd like to do?

Your link doesn't work.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Select the bitmap in the Bitmap Gallery.
    Look for the Trans button, and you will be able to create a new bitmap from the one selected, with the Transparency you want, and apply it as a Background, by using the Background button.

http://eyesitewebdesign.com/dale2.gif

Welcome to the Xara X Conference.

Are you trying to take a bitmap that you have exported as a GIF or PNG file with the transparency option and then import the image and tile it from the Bitmap Gallery with the transparency intact?

And if so, to what purpose?

Keep in mind when you create a bitmap with a transparent background that if you place a filled rectangle behind the elements that there will be no transparent background.

To have the background transparent, you select the objects you want to be non-transparent and then place them over a colored rectangle (if they are going to appear over a colored background). Do not select the colored rectangle. Only the objects. Then export with the transpareny option selected. Now the image background will be transparent.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

but the message was bounced back with the following error message.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>douglas.king@attbi.com
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<douglas.king@attbi.com>:
    host gateway.attbi.com [204.127.198.6]: 550 Invalid recipient:
    <douglas.king@attbi.com><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I do hope that you read this response here because it is very important.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Douglas

How do you intend this site to be used?

I ask this because I have some very major concerns about your site as it is.

You have links to my manual, but there is no mention that all the material contained in this manual is copyrighted, and not by Site for Sore Eyes as your page erroneously indicates. The copyright notice at the bottom of each WebXealot home page clearly states,

"©200X Gary W. Priester , All rights reserved. No portion of this publication, including the illustrations contained within, may be reproduced in any way without the express written permission of the author."

You have not even read my copyright line nor have you had the courtesy of asking me if this is OK. So if I sound a bit miffed, it is because I am. It is as if someone is going around pretending to be me.

If I did not know who Gary Priester was, and visited your manual site, I'd think these were your tutorials. And this could easily cause confusion in the mind of the public as to who is the real author of all these tutorials and content, and who legally owns all rights and copyrights to the material. See where I am going with this?

Then there is the matter of the appropriation of the Xara 3D animation logo, which was created by me, but which you have decided to post on your site and protect under your copyright. Ditto my logo for the XaraXone. Without attribution, one automatically might assume that you are the creator of these images and that that jerk Priester has ripped you off! This is not good for that jerk Priester's professional reputation.

To give you the benefit of the doubt, I am sure you did not intentionally mean to trample on my copyrights. But you have. And so I must ask that you do not publish this site.

I also strongly recommend you purchase and read Mary E. Carter's Electronic Highway Robbery -an artist's guide to copyrights in the digital era, Peachpit Press. It is available from Amazon.com and most other on-line book stores.

Now, for your other question. You cannot have a background image on a web page that is transparent and reveals another background image underneath. You can only have one repeating background image and it cannot support transparency. This is just the nature of HTML. This is not to say that you cannot fake this. Create a background tile that will be on the first level. Then create the image you wish to place on top of the background. Add your transparency. Now select the top image and export it as your background image. You will have achieved the same thing.

Gary
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on April 23, 2002 at 15:17.]

Just to make it clear to all who come here... I had no intention of using the aforemention copywrited material of Gary Priester in any way other than my own personal use. I only put the page up on my server so the people in this thread could see what I was working on, to better answer my question.

This was my first time in this Forum or Site, Guess I really messed up, I will leave gracefully, and not return unless my pressence is requested... My Sincerest Apologies

Doug King

As long as this is for your eyeballs only [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But I think you can see the problems and confusion that could arise if you were to post this for the public and make the URL known.

Perhaps my confusion came about because you were not at all clear as to how you intended to use the page.

Sorry if I came down on you a little hard.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone