I've been trying to fix a computer which refused to print a full page with photo paper: it would timeout near the end and occasionally hang. In all other respects the machine was stable and the printer worked perfectly with normal paper. Not surprisingly, I was working on a printer / cable / driver solution, but with no success. It turns out that the problem was a faulty DIMM module, a fault which wasn't picked up by the BIOS memory check or my normal system diagnostic tools. Fortunately, I came across DocMemory and decided to give it a try because the machine had been unstable with a previous OS and I suspected a hardware fault.

On the basis of this experience, I'm pretty sure I've encountered faulty memory in the past without knowing it. In one particular case I removed the DIMMs and replaced them and the instability problem disappeared. There could be other explanations, but I now suspect that I put them back in different sockets which put the faulty memory cell into a less used position.

Regards - Sean