Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've been trying to fix a computer which refused to print a full page with photo paper: it would timeout near the end and occasionally hang. In all other respects the machine was stable and the printer worked perfectly with normal paper. Not surprisingly, I was working on a printer / cable / driver solution, but with no success. It turns out that the problem was a faulty DIMM module, a fault which wasn't picked up by the BIOS memory check or my normal system diagnostic tools. Fortunately, I came across DocMemory and decided to give it a try because the machine had been unstable with a previous OS and I suspected a hardware fault.

On the basis of this experience, I'm pretty sure I've encountered faulty memory in the past without knowing it. In one particular case I removed the DIMMs and replaced them and the instability problem disappeared. There could be other explanations, but I now suspect that I put them back in different sockets which put the faulty memory cell into a less used position.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I've been trying to fix a computer which refused to print a full page with photo paper: it would timeout near the end and occasionally hang. In all other respects the machine was stable and the printer worked perfectly with normal paper. Not surprisingly, I was working on a printer / cable / driver solution, but with no success. It turns out that the problem was a faulty DIMM module, a fault which wasn't picked up by the BIOS memory check or my normal system diagnostic tools. Fortunately, I came across DocMemory and decided to give it a try because the machine had been unstable with a previous OS and I suspected a hardware fault.

On the basis of this experience, I'm pretty sure I've encountered faulty memory in the past without knowing it. In one particular case I removed the DIMMs and replaced them and the instability problem disappeared. There could be other explanations, but I now suspect that I put them back in different sockets which put the faulty memory cell into a less used position.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Glad to know it wasn't Xara :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

From what I read this program is only good for Win 3.1, Win95 and Win98, or did I miss something??? Would be interested in trying it out but I run Win2000 with SP 2

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

The SIMMTester website is confusing. DOCMemory is actually a DOS mode program that has to be used outside Windows and is therefore compatible with any PC. When the site talks about compatibility with Win 3.1 /95 /98 it's talking about the install program, which creates a boot disk with DOCMemory on it, not DOCMemory itself.

The solution is to find a computer with Win9x, create the DOCMemory boot disk and use that to start your Win2K system. I notice that there's also a FreeDOS version of DOCMemory which presumably creates a FreeDOS boot disk instead, however the installer still needs to run on Win98.

If you have the means to create your own DOS or Win9x boot disk you could also just copy the contents of the attached zip file to it (DOCMEM.EXE, MOUSE.COM & AUTOEXEC.BAT). The program is freeware but there is a licence agreement (LICENCE.TXT) which would normally have been displayed by the install program.

Regards - Sean
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards - Sean