Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Torus

Thanks for the encouragement - I really love doing these effects. but heres the secret to this one. The original shape is given a linear fill, this is then duplicated and the fill changed to start with the end fill of the previous shape and end with another colour. This is then rotated round a central point. (this was a bit hit and miss if you look closely the final shape is not quite as well spaced)

Some tweaking of the nodes is usually necessary to get the effect right.

When finished the first shape is duplicated and transparency applied to cover where it should be over the last shape. (Al's method also works here)

Then it is adding highlights and shadows to give the 3D look. There are actually 90 objects in the image.

Christine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torus_1.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	13756  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

WOW!! Now I'm even more impressed!! 90 objects?? EEK!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

LOVE, Love, love the effect though!!! Now try animating it with the colors flowing through the tubing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Just a thought [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Can't imagine how many objects that would take?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Nope, never mind!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I love Tourus's. They are magical objects. For those folks that don't know you can create a torus by cutting a strip of paper, say 1 inch down the side of an A4 piece of paper, twist it 180 degrees and glue the ends.
    You have now created a piece of paper with only one side. Try it. Run a pen down the inside of the paper, in the middle. You only get one line ?1?!
    If you then cut the torus along the centre line you end up with a double torus twice the length. But if you cut the torus one third of it's width you end up with two interlinked torus's!!!!
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torus3.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	11868  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Now that you have explained how you achieved the fills I find it even more impressive. It is a very beautiful and elegant object you have created. But please help me a bit more 'cos it is still driving me nuts. My problem is how to draw the basic shape in the first place?

Does anyone know what this shape is called ? A Torus is a kind of doughnut shape created when you whiz a conical section around a fixed point on a piece of string, which I suppose is what this is if you also apply a sine wave function to the piece of string at the same time. If such a beatiful thing doesn't have a name already it certainly should have. How about the farrelly pretzel torus ?

Egg, I think the shape you have there is what I know as a moebius strip and I agree it is very magical. I have been trying to imagine what a torus (ie doughnut) shaped moebius strip would look like and what would happen to the hole in the middle of the doughnut - but that is going way OT and is far to disturbing.

Brian

Christine

Fantastic illusion.

Now here is a smallish challenge. How can you make the overlapping parts transparent so that we see the sections that pass below :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Brian - dont let the math of it get in the way - the shape depends on how many twists you want to include. Start with a sort of italic 'S' shape and see where it leads.

Gary - I'll have to think about that one but in the meantime I did this with it.

Christine
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Christine

You and your findings are beautiful! : ) .

There ought to be a Nobel prize for graphical ingenuity. You'd be this years recipient in Stockholm.

Regards, John

I used to do that trick when I was a kid. Make chains for Christmas tree decorations. Also included it in a magic show.

When I draw what I call "bending ribbons", I often have a problem of getting the correct ribbon width and curve shape just before and after the bend. I usually do a isometric or use a calligraphic pen in CorelDraw to approximate the look and then tweek the result. Sometimes I also get a long, thin strip of paper or real ribbon and use it as a model.

Question: do you have any shortcuts/tricks/drawing principles other than using your artistic eye?

I think I'll start a new thread and post an example of using bending ribbons for flow arrows in technical illustrations.

Christine
    Christine

Good. It is a blush well deserved.