Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

From a visit score of 50-90 a day with odd peaks of 200, at long last I am being spidered by Google properly - and the visits have more than trebled with good visit periods too - many over 5 minutes. The various Google sites delivered 200 visits in just 72 hours. I just hope they keep on coming!

A demonstration of the importance of getting things right!

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Ran it on my site and it said I only have 19% use of keywords and could add more.

Problem is it also says that my relavency is poor! This is because I don't have a lot of text, so don't use much repatition!

Is there any way around that?

I'm doing my best with some pages to repeat a word seeral times!

I ran bricks-and-brass and (as I remembered the other tool used to do with mine) it does indicate you have too much keyword repatition.

Turan

I'd better do something about it!

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I believe that sites with a lot of images without alt tags get downgraded.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jen Worden:
    You might want to try MetaMedic [http://www.northernwebs.com/set/setsimjr.html] (scroll waaaay down to the bottom).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Unfortunately it clearly has some limitations:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Bad close of tag: Contents Closing quote missing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Nothing wrong with the close of my tag! But MetaMedic is apparently unable to make sense of a tag closed for XHTML, ie the extra slash in something like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">...round mull race, west highland week, west highland yachting week, mountain, climb, climbing, scotland, scottish" /></pre>
    Had similar problems with Website Garage when I converted my site to XHTML and my HTML apparently dropped overnight from being 'excellent' to merely 'satisfactory' (or 'average' or whatever they called it), despite being both pretty elegant and 100% valid!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Do you use any analysis tools to help you with your web page?

I notice that you have home and homes, and house and houses in your keywords.

I used to use a web-site garuage (on-line) tool. But it has stopped now. It flagged that some engines would see home and homes as an attempt to duplicate words and would caution against it.

I'd love to find a tool like the one that used to be available.

Also, tools aside - do you have any other tips for engine submission?

Turan

Did you go directly through google or did you use another method? such as dmoz.com

illimite Design

You might want to try MetaMedic [http://www.northernwebs.com/set/setsimjr.html] (scroll waaaay down to the bottom). It'll rank your meta tags and let you know how you're doing - word duplication wise as well as getting the most bang for your meta word/description buck. I believe they also have a paying service as well.

cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com

I hate to sound too lazy, but is there a tool that lists all the words on your page and then ranks them?

eg:

the 20
    web 10
    design 8
    home 5
    page 5
    is 5
    fun 3

I read somewhere that engines will look at names on images and alt text on images, and will strip out _'s hence I name my images web_design_button and the alt tag web_design_link. Is this true?

I'll still do it as it reads well, but has anyone heard this?

Turan

Turan

I have played with one or two tools but I've tried hard to take on board comments from places eg http://spider-food.net/ . I do try to add meta tags for each page with the content customised for each page.

I also do a fair bit of sending press releases and making journalist contacts - helping them out as much as I can. This is, after 12 months, beginning to pay off but the visits blip I get does not seem to have a dramatic long-term effect!

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk