Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can't remember how many years ago Paul challenged me to do a rendering of a Zippo lighter for a Xara tutorial.

Well, here's the Zippo.

I'm afraid a tutorial will take another several years to create. This one was really a challenge.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zippo_by_priester.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	12917  

I can't remember how many years ago Paul challenged me to do a rendering of a Zippo lighter for a Xara tutorial.

Well, here's the Zippo.

I'm afraid a tutorial will take another several years to create. This one was really a challenge.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

It seems no matter what the challenge, you come thru with shining colors! And since you seem to reply with anyone's challenge in a matter of hours if not a day, where's the challenge?...
    You're the best, Gary.

ps.. where's the book... you have to be working on a XaraX/3D book... I have your other one. Put me in for an order.

Glenn
    Glenn

Hi Gary - Great looking Zippo. It looks fresh out of the box, no carbon buildup any where.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

G-indeed, it's really nice...only thing that set me back was that you, Gary Priester, left that flame STATIC. I expected that baby to go on flickerin' throughout the post.

I stopped smoking back in 1960!
    regards..BClegg

Gary-I have a Q. Maybe my eyes are decieving me but there is something that bothers them with the lines on top of the flint wheel. Do they keep the same perspective as the invisible lines on the mouth of lighter,where the flames come out? Oh, don't mind me...just the teacher yrs comin' to the front [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on May 12, 2001 at 20:08.]

Gary, you are tooo good at chrome! The lighting in this is very attractive and gives it a nice glowing feel (no pun intended). Great job!
    P.S. Gary, would you mind if I posted how I do fire on your lighter? I know some people don't like others aultering their work, soo, get back to me!

excellent job! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Bill--You're probably right on the perspective on the flint. I created a blend on a path and used the profiles to space out the ridges. If I had enough screen space to establish my vanishing points...

Steve, perhaps you could use a portion of the lighter for your flames demo?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

...brilliant picture (except the minor perspective detail already mentioned), no wonder it took you two years to finish [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

How many times did you have to refill your zippo before you got the lighting & fire right? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...brilliant picture (except the minor perspective detail already mentioned), no wonder it took you two years to finish <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the image took about two days. The flames took about ten minutes.

My prop Zippo is actually a Zippo rip off (a Rippo?) that was given to me by a memeber of the staff of a Brigadeer General in the Korean Army back in the late `60s when I was stationed in Korea. I have never used it but it sits in the Hell box of odd items on my desk.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person