Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi, I almost purchased xaraX, but I read some of the posts. Maybe, I should wait for version 2?

Anyway, I'm confused as to when I should use a vector graphic program versus when I should use my favorite editor, PSP 7.02

What are the file type differences? What does one do that the other can not?

Thanks for the education!

Greg [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi, I almost purchased xaraX, but I read some of the posts. Maybe, I should wait for version 2?

Anyway, I'm confused as to when I should use a vector graphic program versus when I should use my favorite editor, PSP 7.02

What are the file type differences? What does one do that the other can not?

Thanks for the education!

Greg [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Greg, I am new to XaraX myself...so am probably not the one to ask, however, I am amazed by the ease in which you can create spectacular effects in XaraX.

The one great thing about vector graphics is that they can be resized easily without loss of detail. I don't think there is any rule of thumb as to when to use a vector ....it is a matter of preference.

You can output in jpg or gif formats...so that's not a problem either.

I suggest you download the trial version of XaraX, if you haven't already, and play with it. Gary Priester has some great tutorials to help you learn. If you buy XaraX, it comes with videos that ease the learning curve...and I can honestly say, that you will quickly come to love it! I have!

You might also want to post this question on the XaraX forum....I am sure you will get much better answers.

Gary's Tutorials

SandDancr Studios

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

Definitely THE Hottest vector graphics going right
    now (content and price) is Real Draw Pro at
    MediaChance.com -- see for yourself.

I have Paint Shop Pro 6.02 and it can do a world
    of things artistically (and yes with vectors
    also)but download Real Draw Pro and you'll easily
    be hooked ... less than $ 50.00 ... Ken
    IP

Hi ... I found this thread on a search and don't use PSP (I use PhotoImpact instead) but I thought I post about your question.

PSP and PhotoImpact are basically multi-purpose programs which have both vector and raster (pixel) based tools. They are generally good at what they do but other programs like XaraX are designed to be great at one job but may be unsuited to other types of work. I can't speak for PSP but the vector abilities in XaraX are greater than PhotoImpact ... but that's what it's designed for , to be great at vector-based work.

In XaraX, you can create vector shape brushes to act in similar ways to the drawing brushes in PhotoImpact or PSP. You can also make some odd brushes simply out of any shape you make. It doesn't have the image retouch tools that PhotoImpact has (ie... burn, dodge, colorize, tonal adjustment pen etc...etc...). So , using retouch tools on your image objects or photos is something XaraX cannot do as it has none of those tools. So if you want to adjust your photographs, you'll still need PSP or PhotoImpact.

However, it is easier to draw shape-based work and with the great transparency and fill options (including 3 and 4 point transparencies and fills on shapes) as well as the other characteristics of the program , you can make some things that others might think were done in a pixel-based program.

Drawing line-based work (a cartoonist's dream-come-true) is simple and smooth in XaraX.

You can export as a bitmap or a number of other formats.

To see what images people have come up with visit the XaraX gallery on this Talkgraphics space.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...178&f=92119029

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

PS .. I have Real Draw and it's a good program too .... but it isn't the same as XaraX and people wanting to do strict drawings should check out XaraX (for technical illustrations for example). However Real Draw has some really neat effects and the lights you can place on your objects are really good (oops ... too many really's [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). Here's an image I made which is in the gallery on the mediachance site ... "Still Life"

http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/gallery/index.html

Real draw lacks many of the tools in PhotoImpact (or PSP) such as the retouch tools and many more. However it can do things PSP or PI can't so I guess you need to have all these programs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------------------------
    IP

XaraX is strictly a vector program while PSP alows you to get right down to the Pixel and edit.

:.XaraX
    Pros.
    -Easy to apply bevels, fills, shadows.
    -Easy to make shapes.
    -A Feathering technique not before seen in vector packages.
    -Very Fast!
    -Blend objects.
    -simple interface and very low learning curve for limited use. When you really want to use this program it will take long to learn but not as long as some other programs.

Cons.
    -Beveling is not smooth.
    -I still havent figured out the use for contouring.
    -making complex shapes is somewhat tough.
    -working with boxes and circles can become boring and hurt the creativity of your work.

:.PSP
    Pros.
    -dozens of plug-ins included in the program and dozens more online.
    -easy to make complex shapes.
    -beveling is smooth.
    -Fast.
    -Get right down to the pixel and edit.
    -apply thousands of effects.
    -PSP can easily create realistic textures like metal, gold, stone, pretty much everything.

Cons.
    -Fast but slower than XARA
    -limited export formats.
    -Remember to save the selection.

These are my favorite things about each program. I just started using PSP a month ago but in my opinion I am very very very very good. I am a PSP enthusiast, what you get really depends on what youre looking for and how you want your graphics to look. lets get a Xara enthisiast in here and see what they like about Xara and PSP—pros and cons. I'm sure the outcome will be totally different.

-Jon
    IP

I forgot to say a few things. I was looking at a point of view of web graphics. Web graphics is probably best if made in PSP if your lookinf for making some kind of drawing XaraX would be best or some other program like Realdraw which is a very nice program inded.
    IP