Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This feature is a bit difficult to understand and find help for. I agree it would be far better if the error window had a help link to the help file, but all that said, the resolution is within the help files. I've tried other slicing prog's ( double the price and bloated)and I don't find them any easier and i've often ended up with pages giving error message (not on my computer but on visitors) which I've no idea how to correct.
    One thing I do find annoying personally and which must be very baffling to a first time user is XX's insistance of putting the "mouse off" (first instance of a button) below the layer it was created in (ie it disappears!)
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yep Egg, that 'mouseOff' thing does seem a tad backassward huh? I agree.

Those errors you're getting Egg are most likely Javascript created with Xara. Regular ol' HTML screwups don't tend to advise a visitor that the code is flawed in any way. If the html code is really flawed, the page simply won't get rendered by the browser, or at least rendered correctly as designed.
    Netscape has more problems with bad html than IE does by-the-way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Javascript however, will pop-up an error message.

PS: unless you put in a "stopError()" function above the regular scripts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    If you'd like to have the little script, let me know. It won't 'fix' a script's problems, but at least the visitors won't have to be bothered by error windows.

Mark...

Default Re: differences with image slicing

I have to agree with Klaus on the image slicing, and also the button/java stuff. I used to be a proud owner of DrawPlus and Artworks, and I just think that someone else altogether was in charge of creating these add ons, someone who just doesn't think like the rest of the program. I also find these add ons virtually incomprehensible and even after hours of trying out all sorts and consulting the help files, they still don't make sense on a very profound level that seems to preclude in my case to work it out, work with it, produce something that can be used somewhere.

Every time I get a new upgrade, I have another go and every time I fail yet again.

Spent about four, five hours tonight making a test navigation bar. Got to test 13, still not working. Sigh. So I go back to image slicing in Coffecup Image slicer which is simple and logical, and make the rollover bars by hand.

SFX

Just a suggestion SFX - as one program can't do all things - one program does something exceedingly well. Macromedia Fireworks (now Adobe) - it may be even more thrifty to download a version trial and do what you have to do. Slicings a breeze - and fireworks brings with it a tremendous advantage for mocking up websites. Bar none the best optimizer and slicer. It doesn't take a huge program to do something well (photoshop) - it could be something small. The analogy of Xara over Illustrator.

Bill Wood

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Just a suggestion SFX - as one program can't do all things - one program does something exceedingly well. Macromedia Fireworks (now Adobe) - it may be even more thrifty to download a version trial and do what you have to do. Slicings a breeze - and fireworks brings with it a tremendous advantage for mocking up websites. Bar none the best optimizer and slicer. It doesn't take a huge program to do something well (photoshop) - it could be something small. The analogy of Xara over Illustrator.

Bill Wood
    You're right Bill, there is no God programme! I used to get done what I wanted done with a combination of Jasc Paintshop Pro, Flaming Pear plugins, Coffecup Image Slicer and the workhorse of all workhorses - Xara. To be honest, whether it could make rollover bars was really not a question I ever asked myself, not even in the bad days!

I've been thinking of looking at Fireworks and as it's come up again, I think I'll have a go.

Thanks for the tip and let it be known across the lands that if I was to have to go on a lost island and was only allowed one single art programme, of course I'd take Xara. Hell, I'd take DrawPlus ... :-)

SFX

Quote Originally Posted by stlewis View Post
    Is 'shim' a British English term? I know it means a thin piece of metal used to pack a joint to make it fit - but do those Yanks?!
    We Yanks do use shims. As per Mick and Webster, they're usually wood or metal, but, as per Mark, they may be figurative rather than physical.
    Last edited by amoore; 16 April 2007 at 08:17 PM.

The button bar on my wife's web page was exported in slices from Xtreme Pro.

I create a set of transparent slice images that I place over the art. Each image is in exact pixels, has a solid fill but is 100% transparent. This makes it easy to select each slice image without disturbing the image underneath.

The image is reassembled as Egg stated many many years ago, in a table. As near as my old eyeballs can make out, it is seamless.

The table has no border, and no cell spacing and no cell padding.

Gary

A mini tutorial in the midst?

Jim

Gary...

I checked out the botton bar on your wife's web page. Not only was I impressed with the bar, but also with her art work. Especially "Fallen" and "Kali."

The added fact that I am the proud owner of a much-read copy of her book "Electronic Highway Robbery: An Artist’s Guide to Copyrights in the Digital Era," and I'm even more impressed. Not only is her book a wonderful source of information, but it is actually a pleasure to read.

Tell your wife that one of your TG groupies is a fan!
    ---
    Will

Image slicing is a thing of the past.