Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Dear Scouse Eric---

I'm sorry to be writing to admonish you again, because I feel like I'm just dampening a fire going on with Stu's creation, but did you have to pick an American president to make fun of in front of essentially the cyberworld???

Yeah, he was a dilusionary asshhole, but he was an American president, and not one from the UK.

Would you wet your pants laughing if I did the same sort of GIF animation with the Queen Mum?

Eric, Nixon is who got american lads of 18 and older out of VietNam in 1974. VietNam was a meat-grinder for American youth (including myself), and I'm supposing that you have no respect for this one great deed a largely naive president did, because you are too young.

Your sharp wit is fine. I'd like to see a little more effort, seeing as this forum has degenerated from an exchange of information to a science fair.

Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Eric, I agree with Gary B. regarding your Nixon piece. Nixon was a pragmatic jerk, but he DID end the Vietnam war. There are far worse people around you can properly - and deservedly - ridicule.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Hey Stu,

That's completely understandable about not going for the XL package when you already spent a lot on Bodypaint, etc. But at least when you do upgrade you can transfer your model easily. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It seems like this thread has gotten off topic...feels weird posting under it for the dragon. Maybe we should create a new dragon thread and continue there?

Your model is getting better with every post. I'd suggest spending a lot of time on the front view (the last one you posted). That's where I end up spending a lot of time. I find that I can get a dragon head to look pretty good from the side, but then from the front, it just doesn't have the feeling that I originally intended. But...that's all part of modeling I guess. Anyhow, I'd pay a lot of attention to how the eyes look from the front, and think about how you see them in your mind. The front is what can really give a dragon expression. The teeth, of course, also play a role...how much are showing?, are any of them showing?, etc.

Your skin texture seems to work pretty well for the model. Have you applied a contrasted grayscale version of it as a bump map? If not, you may want to experiment with it... might enhance the image a bit.

I guess ultimately a project like this could go on forever...I'd agree that one of the most impressive dragons was the one from Dragon Heart....however, I did think that the dragons in Dungeons and Dragons were also very well done. They were a bit different in style, but very similar to Jeff Easley's famous artwork. Have you seen those dragons?

Lookin' forward to seeing your next render. =)

KIWI,
    I'm sorry Kiwi for this For posting such a highly offesive ani. of Richard Nixon......laughing, yes laughing on your post dunno if it's the hot weather but i can't tell wether gary and klaus are pulling my leg here. can they really be serious???
    But I will not apologise for the gif itself..as for that old boot the queen mother? listen as far as i'm concerned the royal family with its cronies and sycophants can all go to hell for all I [and many, many brits too] care.
    Stu are you going to do the dragon in judis 2modern myths challenge?

Sorry again STU for using your thread 4 this
    scouse eric

[This message was edited by scouse eric on July 04, 2001 at 13:14.]

I was going to keep quiet, but I'm going to add this anyway:

American presidents have always...ALWAYS been a source of humor. Cartoons have been made of them for far longer than I've been alive. It's expected that American presidents become the target of humor and cartoon drawings - they even made a sitcom about our most recent 'president'. I don't think it's considered offensive in the slightest, especially when the cartoon is simple and non-suggestive.

They're not idols or dieties: American presidents are celebreties - just like actors, actresses, World's Richest Nerds such as Bill Grates (spelled that way intentionally), etc. To humor them is good hearted - it shows they're human. Any president that is so serious that he can't laugh at a cartoon of himself has NO BUSINESS in the White House. He/she also has no business in front of a camera. Anyone who puts their face on widespread TV better have a sense of humor...else I'd have to believe they're full of themselves.

Thank you for that calming piece of sanity Earl. I thought I was going mad for a minute there!!!
    When I was looking for pics for these animations my search criteria were "portraits"and "politicians" on the Google image search. and I got a good set of Bush, Nixon, Clinton etc. which were perfect for the task. they could just as easily have been Thatcher, Major, and Tony Blair etc.

Quote Gary David Bouton.
    "Eric, Nixon is who got american lads of 18 and older out of VietNam in 1974."
    Are you sure Gary?
    I was always led to believe it was the *Constant pressure* and tireless campaigning and lobbying from the American public! *They* are the real heroes to me!

KIWI, Once again sorry for sidetracking your superb thread, i was gonna e-mail you to apologise but no e-mail
    cheers kiwi
    eric.

scouse eric

Are you comparing an american president with the queen mum?
    i hope youre being ironic because thats just hilarious.
    To compare a famous, fair and great royalty with a small-minded, "have-no-skills" president from an third world country like usa would be like comparing the great lifebringer(the sun) with a small moon...
    its just not fair to the country of the states to do such a comparizon.

(USA needs a civil war to straighten itself up)

<small style="font-family:tahoma;font-size:60%">Be well and live long</small>

Ehhh, well let's not try to flair up a political debate please? Let's try to keep it graphics related...

Stu...let's definitely start a new Dragon thread...the sooner we're out of this one the better. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I will start another thread called Dragon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Eric no offense taken mate.

Guys you are now in a circular debate that can only become more annoying for everyone as it gets more personal.Everyone has had a say now lets get back to what we collectively enjoy which is graphics [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.