Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What frames? Isn't this service about DNS forwarding???

OK you guys who is the "owner" of these cheap domain names. The reason I am asking is a friend of mine bit at this 9.95 gig and, when checking in whois, was surprised to find out the registrar was the owner, not him. Well, I think the registrar will demand a fortune to sell him his name if he wants to leave the server. In the old days you could register yourself then you would always own the name.

Who knows anything about this, as I would like to register a name, but I want to own it, I don't want someone charging me $50,000 or more for my own name.

Also, wouldn't mind hearing from some people who got took on these kind of deals, as maybe a class action suit is in order, not that I am a lawyer, just an advocate for fair presentation.

Gary in this case owns the name. I use http://combat.uxn.com/ to check all kinds of whois info (like to report SPAM). If you do a whois for gwpriester.com it comes back with all his personal stuff.

If you do a lookup of the nameserver (NS) it is an outfit called enom.com out of Redmond, Washington, which is also internap.com.

Active-domain.com lookup comes back with this:

Registrant:
    Active-Marketer
    Domain Master (admin@active-marketer.com)
    65 97989229
    FAX: na
    215 Jurong East St 21
    NA
    na, 600215
    SG

Administrative:
    Active-Marketer
    65 97989229
    215 Jurong East St 21
    NA
    na, 600215
    SG

Billing:
    Active-Marketer
    65 97989229
    215 Jurong East St 21
    NA
    na, 600215
    SG

Technical:
    Active-Marketer
    65 97989229
    215 Jurong East St 21
    NA
    na, 600215
    SG

DOMAIN CREATED : 2001-02-13 23:09:46
    DOMAIN EXPIRES : 2002-02-13 23:09:46

NAMESERVERS:
    DNS1.ENOM.COM
    DNS2.ENOM.COM
    DNS3.ENOM.COM
    DNS4.ENOM.COM

Can't tell where they are located.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

free with no ads for those with long URLs http://www.ontheweb.nu/ I have used it for a year has been good for me get whatever name you want plus email......tao

Delta

I could be wrong, but I don't think that you ever owned your domain name outright, and the old days are only a few years back. You registered your domain name with Internic, who charged an outrageous amount of money. And you still had to renew the registration after a specified period of time. At least it was that way about 5 years ago when my wife registered her domain name.

Active-Domain has registered gwpriester.com for a period of three years during which time the name is mine. If I decide not to reregister the name after 3 years, and I well might, so beit. I don't think that Active-Domain is going to have a mile-long waiting list of gwpriester's lined up waiting to snatch up the name :-)

In the meantime, the name points to my web site for peanuts. And I get as many e-mailboxes as I need (up to 50, but I do not anticipate needing that many).

If you or your friend (who I assume is an adult and can read an agreement just as I did) want to read the terms of agreement before you plunk down your hard-earned $9.95, nobody is stopping you.

Roman -- What Daniel is referring to is this, Active-Domain does not host my site, it is hosted by a local ISP ThunderNet. So my real home page is http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/index.html and all pages on my site are referenced off that domain name. This is the URL that appears in the Address: window of your browser.

By using the Frames option, my site shows up in the browser window as www.gwpriester.com.
    This is good and this is bad. It is good because the site registers my domain name. It is not good because as Daniel pointed out, the frame HTML does not contain any META tags which help search engine "spiders" determine the nature and content of the site.

I am currently working with Active-Domain to see if there is a way to include a META tag in the Frame Set.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

I think you are right, Gary. For the average user and registrant, the combined package of services and cheap domain registration offered by Active Dmains is a good deal. Are they hosting your site as well?

In my case, however, I didn't need all those bells and whistles. I am given free server space and as many emails I might need (within reason); one of the few benefits of working for a company with its own servers!

As for Godaddy.com's service - I registered, I set my DNS info, it all works! I haven't had a situation that required their assistance. If that need arises, I'll let you know the result.

I really enjoy this forum. Thanks to all the contributors! Once my site is done, I will be asking for your comments, as I plan on creating all graphics with Xara products.
    "I'm not an artist, but I play one on the internet!"

Gary, why didn't you just let your ISP do a virtual web for you. You are already paying $20 a month what's an extra $5. Keeps all your bills and support in one place.

For anyone running a business, I feel keeping with an all-in-one provider is a much easier solution. My ISP's motto is "Think globally, link locally".

I guess I'm stuck in the mindset that the neighborhood business just feels better than the big chainstore. Sort of like Cheers, "where everybody knows your name".

Just my $.02 worth.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>By using the Frames option, my site shows up in the browser window as www.gwpriester.com.
    This is good and this is bad. It is good because the site registers my domain name. It is not good because...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No matter how many pages you stick on that site, the URL in the address bar will stay constant, the true URL will be obscured and the less savvy user trying to bookmark your pages will simply keep bookmarking the initial state of the frameset (a problem compounded by the non-framelike appearance). IMHO this can only lead to confusion and frustration for some of your audience, so you'd be better off setting up the site properly as www.gwpriester.com or putting up with transparent forwarding to the old domain for the time being.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Did I use that word? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't think so. Anyway, it really doesn't matter to your registrant (the owner of your name, and also the operator of your site) if anyone else wants to use your site or not. It is my thought (though not at all proven) that these people will try to charge you a bundle to reregister your name if you get any kind of traffic going on the site at all. They know you will pay the price because you can't afford not to if you are getting a lot of hits.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

BTW, I remember registering a site for $70.00 for two years. Hardly a bundle, and the site was mine until I let it go, no operator had any claim at all on it and it showed up under registrant.

I think figuring out how to register my name and owning it myself is a very good insurance policy to keep from being held up in three years.

On the other hand, if you are just playing (as is the case with me), then it just doesn't matter a whole lot, it's just the principle of the thing. But then, if it doesn't matter, why not just go for the tag?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also, wouldn't mind hearing from some people who got took on these kind of deals, as maybe a class action suit is in order, not that I am a lawyer, just an advocate for fair presentation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno DM but I read that as a scam.

And if you do one of those whoseit searches on my site name, it says that I am the registered owner of the site. Your friend might have checked before the registration had been completed. It does take 24-48 hours for the site to be officially registered.

Furthermore, what is to stop any site with whom you have registered your domain name from making it difficult for you to transfer your site somewhere else no matter what it cost? I think either I am too naive or you are too cynical, or perhaps it is a little of both :-)

Pete, and Raffon, et. al.

Turns out frames are not going to work, so I switched to my actual ISP's domain name. This way the META tags will be able to do what they are designed to do. The site still works with the gwpriester.com URL.

What's worse, my wife's site is registered with Register.com at $35 per year. When I did a redirect to her actual site at Earthlink.net it shows up in a frame with an banner ad at the bottom for Register.com. I suspect to get rid of the banner frame is going to cost her some extra bucks. That is a scam!

I chose not to go with Earthlink because they charge $20 to register a domain name and then an additional $20 a month to host the domain name. This is in addition to the $18 a month I currently pay. And no, sadly, Active-Domain.com does not host sites. Register.com does, and charges for any pages over 3. On the other hand, in my wife's case, that might not be a problem.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png