Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I want to create a web site for my buisiness.
    Do I have to register a domain name first?
    Is register.com the best place to do this?
    I own the Corel Web Master suite but none of it makes sense to me.
    I guess I just don't understand anything about how the web is linked or how to link my own site to key words on search engines.
    Can anyone recomend a book for the basics on this
    everything I've read assumes I already know everything. Also I don't understand why it costs
    money every year to register a domain name. Where is this money going to? If any one could push me in the rite direction that would be great.
    Thank you

I want to create a web site for my buisiness.
    Do I have to register a domain name first?
    Is register.com the best place to do this?
    I own the Corel Web Master suite but none of it makes sense to me.
    I guess I just don't understand anything about how the web is linked or how to link my own site to key words on search engines.
    Can anyone recomend a book for the basics on this
    everything I've read assumes I already know everything. Also I don't understand why it costs
    money every year to register a domain name. Where is this money going to? If any one could push me in the rite direction that would be great.
    Thank you

Hi Pocket,

I can help you with some points:

DOMAIN REGISTRATION
    Check out:
    Godaddy
    Powerpipe
    Stargate

HOSTING
    There are free services where you can host your site, but if you do it for business, you should get a good host. hostnexus.com seems to be good.
    If you also want to host your clients domains, check out MCHost I am currently hosting there.

You can find more hosting companies here:
    comparewebhosts
    hostindex
    tophosts
    webhostdirectory

SEARCH ENGINES
    Here you will find basic information on how search engines work, how to improve your ranking and what you should better not do:
    spiderfood
    searchenginewatch
    selfpromotion

HTML EDITOR
    Dreamweaver is a very good choice

GRAPHICS
    To do your graphics, you can use Macromedia Fireworks, Deneba Canvas, XaraX, Photoimpact, and lots more. Get the trials and see which one is the best for your needs.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hi pocket ...

No, you certainly don't have to register a domain name in order to have a website for you business. There are many free or close-to-free solutions provided by Tripod and the like.

The downside of not having your own domain is that your web site address will not be unique.
    mybiz.tripod.com vs. mybiz.com

This may or may not be an issue for you.

I believe the domain fee goes to help offset costs for the DNS service - you can register with any of the domain parking services and often your host (where your web site is physically located - more on that) will do this for you.

The web is a network of connected computers (and in all honesty, I continue to be amazed that the thing works at all!) - hence the name "web". If you have a dedicated line (DSL or Cable) you can actually "host" your site on your own computer. In theory, anyway and that presents a whole set of other problems. For the first timer I would recommend a host - check out the URLs cyberdao mentioned or do a google search for "web host".

You will "rent" a piece of that host's "computer", also known as a server. You can FTP (think back door) into that server to upload files/images from your computer, where it will be accessible to the world. Often hosts will have a web-based interface, so you don't have to get FTP software. Again, a good option for your first time.

Once you have the space, you'll need some sort of HTML editor (text or WYSIWYG -What You See is What You Get) such as Notepad or Homesite or Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive and to a certain extent, Xara/Fireworks/Image Ready.

Then you'll need a photo editing tool - again, cyberdao presented some options above.

I know, it feels like a lot to learn at the start, but we're here to help so just give a shout if you have more questions.

cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The downside of not having your own domain is that your web site address will not be unique.
    mybiz.tripod.com vs. mybiz.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two positive advantages of registering your own domain:

1. <LI>It looks more professional for a business.
      <LI>You can change your host and keep your URL. And that's worth its weight in gold (I've done it)!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is register.com the best place to do this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's certainly very easy to redirect your domain from register.com. Be aware of the distinction between ICANN-Accredited Registrars and hosting companies merely acting as go-betweens. My first domain was registered with register.com and has been hosted with two other hosts, but two more registered through my (then) host in my name have proved more difficult to shift! Another company have been dragging their feet over the redirection of a friend's domain, which has now taken more than a week (way beyond the stipulated 72 hours) for no result.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on March 29, 2002 at 14:04.]

Hi Pocket... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

First off, many determinations really depend on the type of business you have...

For example, if your business was targeted towards a large online audiance then having your own domain name is rather important, however if you are say a trades person catoring to say but a few potential clients at a time and as such are using the site to show off some of your previous jobs, then having a personal/business site through another domain is perfectly acceptable...IMO...Chances are that you may already have provisions to create such a site through your internet provider, and simply have to set this option up.

Let us know what type of business you have Ok?