Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The proximity of your references to 'bombing' and the 'Xara God' led me to believe you were referring to the differences of opinion in this thread (compare 'flaming'), which seemed no more than healthy discussion to me...

As for the very real problems of wanton death and destruction and people who just can't live at peace, I'm sorely vexed by these too. My misunderstanding! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on November 01, 2002 at 16:41.]

I remember the discussion very well. I remember how everyone jumped on a guy who said some Xara developers who were fired were picked up by a competing company.

The discussion isn't much different from what's going on now. I use Xara frequently and I NEED some new features and fixes to old bugs. I hate this waiting period. I wish Xara could afford to keep all their personnel as long as it shortend the wait between versions/patches.

That's one reason I put together a Feature Request List.

I don't want to be having this same discussion six months from now.
    NEED

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Xar-a, Xar-a, Xar-a...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good points by Jens, I couldn't agree more!

Gary's suggestion for a "clean-up" patch - ah, it is long over due.

The only thing I would like to see done - make the Xara file export more compatible with Illustrator and Draw files - this way I can give the impression that I work with them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

After looking at what Steve Newport creates, I can't say that anything major is missing from Xara X... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Xar-a... Xar-a [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sheffield Abella:
    I use Xara frequently and I NEED some new features and fixes to old bugs. I hate this waiting period.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sorry, but I just don't get it! How can you say you *need* new features when you'd *have* to use something else if Xara didn't exist at all? And how can there be a 'waiting period' to hate when it sounds like you're waiting for a train that hasn't been timetabled?

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

BUT 2 years and not much in the way of even a peep out of Xara Ltd concerning their flagship product gives one to wonder. I know of 3 bug fixes and one of them involves the brushes that don't seem to work for allot of us correctly. True, I would have either given in and tried to learn Draw, but as Gary puts it, too maddening. So, yes, I use the product and SAVE OFTEN, but it still would be nice to have at least a patch for some of these issues.

PhotoImpact just released a newer version and it's capabilities are getting up there AND it allows you to paint on objects too. I'm impressed and their code is pretty darn solid, as is Xara's. So 2 years later and no fixes, ect.... is Xara Ltd. letting this slide into the abyss or are they going to do something about the bugs (as least that!!)??

Gary hasn't heard and we, the user base are interested in knowing. There is nothing wrong with speculation and there is nothing wrong with wanting some sort of answer from Xara Ltd. on these issues!!

I love XaraX I won't give it up, it IS productive, but at this point, only to a certain extent. There are programs out there that don't stand up to what XaraX can do but there are features we are all seeing in these products that have us watering at the mouth. Nothing wrong with a wish list, even if it is has just about grown into it's own forum!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] THAT in and of itself should say something to Xara Ltd. that there is interest in seeing the product continue upwards instead of declining or falling so far behind the competition that they begin to loose their user base.

Just my 10 cents worth!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I want a new version of Xara X quite badly, mostly because I don't use it anymore.

The features I need are:

1. industry-standard keyboard shortcuts. This is happening, look at Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash. 'v' is the arrow tool in all of them. What is it in Xara? F2.

2. Mac support. I think this is really unlikely, but I do 95% of my design on a mac now because it is soo much easier. I drag layers between programs, make PDFs natively and have jpg and gif previews in my file browser, just to name a few of the things I like (world-class color correction, etc).

My ideal solution however isn't waiting for Xara to release a new version. I also think that Xara X development is over. To me, ideally, Xara would release the source to Xara X under the BSD or GPL license and get on with their other endevours.

Ok, now I'm done [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Nathan Heagy
    <HR>
    Blow Your Beef Away
    Cow Comics!
    Founder and Lead Designer at Amuses Me Games.
    Apple fanboy with much nostalgia for Xara. @nheagy on twitter

When winter begins, the days grow longer, and when summer begins, the days shorten.
    Currents and undercurrents.

This just to say that it may well have been a difficult time for Xara, but everything changes, and there may well be better times lying ahead.

Jens is right (he often is), and Gary too (as usual): for many XaraX has become like a pair of shoes that really feel good. But some repairs have to done from time to time...

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...ine=1019851685

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

luckily XARA X doesn't stick to the so called 'industry standard'. XARA X is unique and powerful because it does NOT adhere to industry standards. If they would implement the 'industry standard' it would be very soon like the standard Microsoft shit, infested with bugs and backdoors, ugly registration procedures etc.

And all the other members: yes, a patch would be nice, but I'm running it on a w2k system, that means it's running stable for more than a year now.

ok, and an updated for import/export filters would be nice, but not necessary - at least not for me. I can even import my CAD files via *.ai into X ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien:
    luckily XARA X doesn't stick to the so called 'industry standard'. XARA X is unique and powerful because it does NOT adhere to industry standards.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Standards are a good thing. Let me list some standards you may like: PDF, TIFF, HTML, XML. Implementations are NOT standards, so perhaps you have confused the two? In particular using standard keyboard shortcuts would allow switching between Photoshop, Flash and Xara X more easily (just to name a few applications).

Perhaps there are some industry standards that Xara is better off ignoring. Keyboard shortcuts is definitely not one of them.

Nathan Heagy
    <HR>
    Blow Your Beef Away
    Cow Comics!
    Founder and Lead Designer at Amuses Me Games.
    Apple fanboy with much nostalgia for Xara. @nheagy on twitter