Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Experimenting .Xar files conversion to PDF with Illustrator 10

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Perhaps, Xara Ltd. should start a public benefit organisation to support poor printers, who aren't able to invest 70 bucks in buying Xara Xtreme as an alternative software to print out Xara Xtreme drawings...
    I would party in the streets on the day a printer has actually heard of Xara, let alone have it installed on his ageing WindowsME system, or worse, MacOS9.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    I would party in the streets on the day a printer has actually heard of Xara, let alone have it installed on his ageing WindowsME system, or worse, MacOS9.
    I would add in my experience, that as long as the printer does not use a direct Xara printout, it would be ok. For some reason, when I print out from directly within Xara, the result is pretty grainy on my old HP1000. If I export to PNG, import that to Word, and print that Word document, the printout is perfect. For my work, this is fine at this point, but I hope this is not happening for everyone.

David

Have you tinkered with the Printer Options in Xara Xtreme?

I found I always used the default 'Normal' and 'Automatic' print options in Xara. Will changing that make a difference?

Personally, I have never needed to putz with the settings, but they are there and perhaps could do something about the graininess... or not.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Personally, I have never needed to putz with the settings...
    To be honest, I never thought about playing with the settings, as I never played with the settings in Word as I was doing it. Next time I play with it, I'll try it out...

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    For some reason, when I print out from directly within Xara, the result is pretty grainy on my old HP1000.
    I generally get excellent output printing directly from Xara. I've printed many times to Lexmark color and monochrome laser printers, and an HP Deskjet 970. Currently, my inkjet is a Canon Pixma 4200. No HP laser, however.

Depending on the image, you might also try printing to pdf. I've gotten some great pdfs using Xara's export to pdf filter. I've also gotten some problematic pdfs because of transparency and Live Edit effects. Sometimes, when the export filter doesn't do what I need, I can print to Jaws PDFCreator successfully.