Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I don't quite believe it, but that's what some say, anyway.
    I didn't know GIMP was available in a Windows version until very recently.
    I downloaded it and found it- ...uh.... rather chalenging. I plan on purchasing Photoshop in about a month or so anyway (-before the semester's over, to get the student discount-).
    Anyway, what I'd really like to know because I can't figure it out myself is if the GIMP has a font effect like the pillow emboss in Photoshop. Or any font/vector effects at all.
    Anybody know right off?
    ~
    IP

I don't quite believe it, but that's what some say, anyway.
    I didn't know GIMP was available in a Windows version until very recently.
    I downloaded it and found it- ...uh.... rather chalenging. I plan on purchasing Photoshop in about a month or so anyway (-before the semester's over, to get the student discount-).
    Anyway, what I'd really like to know because I can't figure it out myself is if the GIMP has a font effect like the pillow emboss in Photoshop. Or any font/vector effects at all.
    Anybody know right off?
    ~
    IP

The makers of Gimp (for windows) say right on their site that Gimp is no replacement for PS nor does it have many of the advanced features that make PS the app it is.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Have fun though eh...
    IP

I can only quote what's on the Gimp web site"

"Warnings

The program(s) might crash unexpectedly or behave otherwise strangely. (But of course, so do many commercial programs on Windows.) The stability seems to depend a lot on the machine, display drivers, other software installed, and whatnot. Presumably the more memory you have, the better GIMP works. (For any real image work, I would say 128 megabytes is minimum.) Many people do find GIMP very useful. But it is not a Photoshop killer (for real Photoshop users, that is), Photoshop has lots of features that the GIMP lacks."
    IP

No kidding, eh?
    The first two I noticed were missing were "stability" and "ease of use".
    Ah well,
    at least I got a refund.
    IP