Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I use Photoshop primarily for TV graphics, where I save text as alpha channels to use over top of video footage.

All I want to do now is save an image to use in a CD label making program, but I can't do it without bringing a solid background with it.

Can anyone help me? Is it a "paths" thing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

DP
    IP

Hi only1dp, welcome to the board.

That sounds like a limitation of the CD label making app, not your image.

Check the specs of that app and see if image transparency is mentioned (supported) of whether Gif or Png or Tif formats are mentioned -- those are the standard formats for image transparency.

Most apps that do that kind of thing, so i've been noticing, are based on VERY low-level system requirements - ala 256 colour & 640x480 res. And generally that means that the app itself is designed with those specs in mind. Which a lot of times, will create limitations as to things like ustilizing alpha transparency within any images.

But find out some specs on the app first ok, and we can go from there.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Hi,

I've been doing labelmaking for about 2 years. The fault more than likely lies in the labelmaking program. There is a transparency control on the labelmaker that I use sometimes. If your selected image is surrounded by a solid black background, you could increase the intensity to make your background "disappear", leaving you image "floating" (your image in a transparent background) making your images look as if they were saved as .gif files.

This program I've used will not open .gif files. If you have saved your images in Photoshop as .gif files, then, I'm sure that's the problem.

I'm looking for a professional CD Jewel Case/ Label making application, myself.

Hope this could help you a little, at least.

RJ
    IP

I have to agree with you all on the label making app. I think that's the problem.

I use Rimage systems and when you're creating the lab file there's an option that asks if you want a solid/transparent background.

You'd think that'd be standard eh?!

Good Luck! ;-)
    IP