Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: PSD - in & out

XaraX's newfound ability to import PSD files is nice (even if they come in at a silly Mac-centric DPI of 72). But even nicer would it be if *layered* PSD files could be imported. Not to mention if the PSD layer names could be retained in XaraX. Even more important would be the successful *export* of named XX layers to named PSD layers. Both together would make very slick "round-tripping" possible between these programs - the two greatest graphics workhorses on the planet.

Given that Painter can read/write layered PSD files (and PhotoPaint, also - I think?), it should be possible for Xara to implements this too!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

XaraX's newfound ability to import PSD files is nice (even if they come in at a silly Mac-centric DPI of 72). But even nicer would it be if *layered* PSD files could be imported. Not to mention if the PSD layer names could be retained in XaraX. Even more important would be the successful *export* of named XX layers to named PSD layers. Both together would make very slick "round-tripping" possible between these programs - the two greatest graphics workhorses on the planet.

Given that Painter can read/write layered PSD files (and PhotoPaint, also - I think?), it should be possible for Xara to implements this too!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Alpha channels should be interesting to preserve too in PSD files. Even if one must preserve only the first one in the list (because one can add a lot of different alpha's in Photoshop).

Regards,

ivan

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hey guys,

once again: TIFF is a global standard for pixel formats, as well as TGA. You want layers? XARA X features the most powerful layers around. Why do you want to import layers from a bitmap? Hell, I never needed this feature, and I never will. And in those rare occasions where I need bitmap layers, I can separate a pic in PhotoPaint or Photoline and import the pics into XARA. In short words: if you want luxury, be prepared to pay for it. And even worse: it would blow up the footprint X leaves on the hard drive.

Alpha channels: ever heard of PNG? PNG offers the same lossless quality as TIFF, but has an additional alpha channel. And X delivers a perfect alpha, believe me!

Appears to me you are looking for kinky features nobody REALLY needs in his day to day routine.

X is so fast that you will have plenty of time to pre-separate the layers you want to import...

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I would like the option of choosing to keep alpha channels or flattening psd files before placing the imported file.

I just find it inconvienent to have to create an alpha channel save out a PNG as opposed to simply saving the native PSD format.

Sheff
    Sheff
    My Site

psd, cpt,... we discussed this a few months ago, and since then I follow great guru Jens save as tiff and forget about the others.

but indeed, as Klaus says, it would be handy for Photoshop users, and there are plenty of them.
    I'm being told, but it must certainly be a lie, that Photoshop untill version 5.5 (?) couldn't even draw a simple rectangle. So for these users, Xara must be like the cavalery in those old Western movies...

And although it would indeed be great if Xara had all the possibilities of, let's say, Photoshop6 with the 20 most important plug-ins, Painter6, Ultrafractal, Flash5 and Dreamweaver4, not to mention the 3dimensional apps, I'm afraid Xara wouldn't be that slender princess anymore...

So, if necessary, I prefer importing the different layers separately . (I'm always looking for the possibility to merge down in Xara... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on March 17, 2001 at 10:17 AM.]