Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: 10 - 7 = 0

For those who also read the Xara board you'll know I've been trying out te 30 version of Xara X.

I've been using CorelDRAW7 for some time now and been very happy with it. However, prior to buying Xara X i though I'd better check out CD10.

However, my initial 2min look at it is, there are a few things like new textures etc, but the bulk looks the same (except for new icons!).

Can anyone who has used CD7 and is now using CD10 (maybe even via 8 and 9) tell me what they think of the difference as compared to XaraX CD10 does not seem different or new.

Add to that there seems to be bugs with it.....views please.

Turan
    IP

For those who also read the Xara board you'll know I've been trying out te 30 version of Xara X.

I've been using CorelDRAW7 for some time now and been very happy with it. However, prior to buying Xara X i though I'd better check out CD10.

However, my initial 2min look at it is, there are a few things like new textures etc, but the bulk looks the same (except for new icons!).

Can anyone who has used CD7 and is now using CD10 (maybe even via 8 and 9) tell me what they think of the difference as compared to XaraX CD10 does not seem different or new.

Add to that there seems to be bugs with it.....views please.

Turan
    IP

Turan

Haven't got 10 yet, but have got V7, V8 and V9.

I use V7 in my day job, as it does everything I need, but keep my eye in with the new versions at home.

V8/V9 Additions that stick out in my mind since V7.

VBA language support, this is a very powerful addition and allows you almost total control over the CorelDRAW engine, best site to see what can be done is

http://www.vakcer.com/oberon

V9 additions

Artistic media brushes. Different to the XaraX implementation, can have spray lists or turn a drawing such as pencil into a brush that distorts along a curve.

Ability to apply a variable line width to an existing curve (similar to the old powerline feature)

Convert object outline to curve, this is a really useful tool.

Colour mesh fill

Better PDF export, not nearly as good as having a full version of Acrobat but can do in a pinch.

V8 additions (still in V9)

Custom object distortion, not really found a use for that one.

Improved PS and EPS import filters

Ability to rotate bitmap fills.

Massive changes to the print engine, impositioning, n-up printing etc.

I haven't looked into the V10 feature set much, it does have a Macromedia Freehand file format import filter which I would find useful.

My work tends towards the technical side of computer illustration, for that Draw is the best package bar none, however if your work is along the lines of what is being produced in the Xara conferences then XaraX is the best choice.

If I had the computer power at work to run it on I would have moved to Draw V9 (with both SP1 and SP2) by now.

Peter

[This message was edited by Peter Clifton on May 09, 2001 at .]
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Thanks for the very detail info appreciate the tiime you spent on the reply.

Having first used Corel5 was blown away by the improvements in CD7, but just don't know if the improvements merit the £180 upgrade ticket to go to 10.

Turan
    IP

There are big differences between version 7 and version 10.

After SP1 it is worth the investment. Be aware that you may need to invest in hardware as well. V10 demands more powerfull systems, specially video cards, and memory.

Regards
    IP