Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Poll question

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Norton problem

1 100.00%

Just recently I defragged my hard drive with Norton Utilities ... now when I start Painter, as it goes thru the startup routine, it puts up all these notices that certain variants ... Add Grain, Brightness/Contrast,Fire, Glow, etc. cant be loaded because the variants couldnt be found...the program continues to load and run...but these variants are in gray (not available) This happened to me once before about a year ago, and I fixed it by replacing one of the items in the Painter folder...but now I cant remember what it was (and there's so many) and I'm now spending my day trying to figure it out...Yes I tried reinstalling Painter but still the same messages.
    Appreciate any suggestions...running Painter 5.0 on a 5200 PowerMac...
    Chris Heathco email - Uwontseeme@aol.com [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    IP

Just recently I defragged my hard drive with Norton Utilities ... now when I start Painter, as it goes thru the startup routine, it puts up all these notices that certain variants ... Add Grain, Brightness/Contrast,Fire, Glow, etc. cant be loaded because the variants couldnt be found...the program continues to load and run...but these variants are in gray (not available) This happened to me once before about a year ago, and I fixed it by replacing one of the items in the Painter folder...but now I cant remember what it was (and there's so many) and I'm now spending my day trying to figure it out...Yes I tried reinstalling Painter but still the same messages.
    Appreciate any suggestions...running Painter 5.0 on a 5200 PowerMac...
    Chris Heathco email - Uwontseeme@aol.com [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    IP

Open your painter folder. Inside there will be a plug ins folder. Are all the effects you mention in there? they should be.
    T
    IP

Thank you for your help...I checked the Plugins folder and found all the effects there...even compared this folder with the Plugin folder in Painter on my iBook...they both contain the same items (19 in all) There are some others that wont load (not listed in the plugin folder) Burn Tear Level, Equalize, Glass distortion, Impasto, Kaleidoscope, Kodak OP, Liquid Lens, Liquid Metal, Posterize, Brightness Contrast. Where are these located?
    The Painter on my iBook is running fine...I use the 5200 alot because it's connected to a 15 gig hard drive and contains tons of files I still use. Thanks again, Chris
    IP

Well things do look a little messed up.
    First of all there should be 19 items in the plug ins folder. You say you are missing burn tear bevel, glass distortion, kaleidescope etc. These are part of the 19 plug ins that should be in your plug ins folder. If they are not there then what is making up the 19 plug ins?

Also fire, glow etc are brush variants these are in the painter default brushes which is not a folder.

I would suggest that you trash everything and use sherlock to search out anything to do with painter thoroughly. Then try reinstalling agian.

T
    IP

Hi Digital,
    I hope you got your problem figured out and fixed.
    Not knowing anything about a Mac I am afraid I can't help you much. Let us know how you are doing.

Greg.
    IP

In my Macintosh version of Painter 5.0, these items appear to be separated into 2 separate Plugin folders ... the first one is called Plugin Brushes. It contains these 19 items...Vertical Crease Br, Extra Brushes, Simple Diffuse br, Sharpen Br, Right Twirl Br, Relief Brush, Pinch Br, Liquid Br, Left Twirl Br, HSV Brushes, Horizontal Crease Br, SFX Brush, Diffuse Pull Brush, Diffuse Motion Blur Br, Deep Well Br, Comb Br, Bulge Br, Add Grain Br, & Blur Br. The other folder is called Other Plugins ... it contains these 11 items: Al File Format, Brightness/Contrast, Burn Tear Level, Equalize, Glass Distortion, Impasto, Kaleidoscope, Kodak OP, Liquid Lens, Liquid Metal,& Posterize.
    I appreciate your help and I'm going to try to trash everything Painter today and reintall...with the exception of my pattern files, nozzles, and my precious Painter settings.
    I love reading these posts and finally hearing other people talking about how much they love Painter...I'm the only person I know who "does" Painter...and sometimes when I'm with friends over lunch, I'll start talking about something new I learned on Painter...they just give each other knowing looks "Here she goes again"....they have no idea how much fun they're missing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    IP

digital,

Uninstalling and reinstalling may be the solution. However, it's possible that your Painter.set file is corrupted. If you haven't reinstalled yet, when you do, make a backup copy of the default files in the main Painter folder. Then, if it turns out your Painter.set file (or any of the other default Painter files) is corrupted, you can easily replace it by pasting a copy from the backup folder into the main Painter folder (while Painter is closed, of course).

Good luck, and I hope everything's working again.

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Digital,

First, Welcome to the forum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I hate to see those "my Mac just went Kablooie" stories. It's just a downer.

of course this is a, "my Painter went kaboom!" story so we have a subtle difference there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have no Mac boxes in my office [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] so I'm no good on this question.

Thank you, Thelonious, for trying to field these questions.

Digital, I love your email address [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I still vote for the option that Norton is to blame [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. They just don't make it like they used to . .. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> .they just give each other knowing looks "Here she goes again"....they have no idea how much fun they're missing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep I couldn't have said it better myself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I hope you get your Painter back in working order.

Athena
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP