Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi folk,
    Lately I have been doing a lot of practice drawing. I feel that the need to practice observation and drawing never stops, even in the computer age. This picture started out as drawing practice and kept going.
    Hope you enjoy.

Regards,
    Greg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lady2_web.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	11897  
    IP

Hi folk,
    Lately I have been doing a lot of practice drawing. I feel that the need to practice observation and drawing never stops, even in the computer age. This picture started out as drawing practice and kept going.
    Hope you enjoy.

Regards,
    Greg.
    IP

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

You are so right, we all need to keep drawing be it with a pencil or a stylus.

You really did a good job creating a life like image especially with the shading and blending. One thing I wonder about though, would the iris of the eyes really take up that much space?

Judi
    IP

Judi
    Thanks for the comment. I am re-working the eyes. After looking at the picture for several days, it looked fine untill I got it posted.

Thanks again.
    Greg.
    IP

Hi Mr Bat.

Not too bad, the hair looks good.

I feel the face could be a little longer looks a bit squashed, however this could be how it is I guess.

The lips appear a bit twisted. Also If there is going to be such a dark shadow near the nose then I would think that there should be some more shadow under the lips as well.

cheers

thelonious
    IP

Hello Mr. Hink,
    Thanks for the input. I am in the process of reworking some areas, eyes, nose, lips, chin,etc.
    I will post the updated version soon, I hope.
    Regards,
    Greg.

Did I mention ear??????
    IP

Van Gogh walked into a bar. The barman said would you like a beer?

Vincent replied "no thanks, I've got one 'ear.

No you didn't mention the ear but now that you've introduced this into the thread may I point out that if this is a portrait of someone exhibiting downe's syndrome, then it may be useful to mention that the earlobes would be somewhat diminished and the ears generally would sit lower on the head.

ciao

thelonious
    IP

Hi again.
    The above image is an updated version. Some small changes have been made.I have managed to loose the original file (JPEG Decoding error) and have had to resorect this image.At any rate I am at the point of overworking this one. Hopefully I will be able to incorporate your feed back into the next one.
    The original post is in the Gallery section.

Thanks for the feed back.
    Greg
    IP

Greg,

Thank you for being brave and showing this practice image. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

here is a link to the discussion in the gallery on this image

two very fascinating threads [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Athena

ps: RE: pupil size . . .I have met people with naturally dilated pupils. (and no they weren't on drugs). The person I'm thinking of had fantastic blue eyes. (whoops now I"m remembering a second. .. don't recall the eye color though). Whoops that was a comment on the Iris not the pupil .... hmmm [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ignore me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

I would have to agree with Athena,
    It takes a brave soul to exhibit life drawing work in public. It's easy to post arty doodlings with nothing to compare to but nothing could be more difficult that the human face to draw.

I feel that the mouth is the bit that is causing the most difficulty here. Also the edge all around the eyes. I'm not sure of the technical term for the eye edge or boundary or whatever.

Have a look at the Mona Lisa notice how Da V has lost the corners of the mouth in total darkness. I realise that there is not so much shadow on this but there is a principal that the way the human mind works, especially with something that it is so familiar with, is to fill in missing information automatically.

The more I look at this I'm drawn to the foreshortening that I feel should be apparent on the mouth. I know that the head is not turned very much but you would be surprised at the effect that a slight turn can have. The same goes for the nose, it looks too front on.

I seem to have a print nearby that I'm working on, I'll post it for your perusal, the face is from a similar perspective but note the nose.

cheers T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMV-colour-latest.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	3935  
    IP