Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is developing into a very good forum. The so called serious forums like the Corel Newsgroup are ubelievably tedious. Even if you get a straighforward answer it disappears in a sort of gooey quagmire.

Good point Athena about the visits as opposed to visitors. However if one looks at the general amount of looks a thread gets one can conclude that there are about 100-200 regular viewers.

A thread that is of no interest will not atract a relook. However the number of viewers to the Fishie thread indicate that the same people are reviewing the thread over and over. This suggests that these repeat viewers do not find the thread boring. This is more the point I wanted to make by noting the amount of views.

The proof of the pudding is, as they say, in the eating.

In fact whether a thread is of interest to viewers is contained in the numbers which are there for all to see. Methinks that some people are unhappy with the lack of response they get.

I am often amazed at the interest that my ramblings sometimes generate.

I also know that a witty and intelligently run flame war is a joy to behold and it can be an interesting and vital part of any forum. Some people do not appreciate that flames need to have more than mindless abuse. (This is a general comment and not intended to refer to anything specific) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

T
    IP

T I just wanted to say I respect the way that you stuck to your guns with Corel despite the odds,but I am also glad that we can now move on again as well.

I thoroughly agree with Eriks sentiments also [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

T I dont know that I have ever seen a flame war that didnt end up pissing someone off a great deal,but that is just my opinion thus far.

On another note I just wanted to say as an artist that there are a hell of a lot of people here who have the beginnings of some really great talent,and you guys dont give yourselves enough credit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I am no Leonardo myself but I am more than happy to pass on what art theory knowledge that I do have.I am self taught really and I have never been to art school either so I will do my best not to pass on bad art habits that I have a multitude of [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.
    IP

Sounds good Stu.

It's good to see you back here Judi.

I would like to point out that a thread is a bit like a plant. It is an organic structure that needs to be tended carefully if one wants it to grow in a particular way. You can plant a thread then let it go au natural or it can be tightly clipped into a sort of spiral affair.

Whatever one chooses it should be realised that a thread left to its own devices with no further input from the owner, will invariably grow into something not intended originally.

A caring owner of a thread will gently nudge or clip any stray growths so as to maintain a neat line of thought.

With regards to flames, personally I think they are utterly unnecessary. I find that they are merely the result of someone not being dispassionate and logical. Like what Erik pointed out earlier. It's a funny thing really that computers and all the technology involved has ended up reviving the lost art of communication via the written word.

One cannot write as one talks. Little errors will not go unnoticed. I think that most flame wars originate from this simple fact. Someone got sloppy, someone else corrected them, then the first person gets all defensive. Bang, it's off.

Many wars also begin from something as simple as someone replying to something without reading what they are replying to. It all seems so unnecessary. However I suppose it is just a reflection of the restlessness and self judgemental nature of the human being.

BTW for anyone who is not familiar with Mike Reed's work do check out the flame warriors well drawn and well written. Also after a hard day flaming you might want to relax by doodling around here

thelonious

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on August 31, 2001 at 11:24.]
    IP

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Thank you Athena for the full forced frontal attack against me. Maybe you had better go back and read your own post against flaming.

After you made post against flaming and personal insults everything here seemed to freeze up. I thought maybe everyone was now afraid to post.

I said absolutely nothing about Thelonious, in fact his post regarding the visability mask is well defined and doesn't wander off the subject.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But I will not follow Judi's implied suggestion and try to narrowly define the scope of what a visitor can say when a person posts an image. I also don't see any point in segmenting portions of a thread off. As I explained to Jinny when she too complained that the fishes thread had grown long, if i cut the thread into parts i, ii, iii, iv, etc. then locked the segment so as not to have competing iterations of the same topic, then parts i, ii, and iii, would drop to the forum floor and new visitors would not be able to find the first installment easily.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never asked YOU personally to do anything. In fact I think it would be wrong for you to break up threads. However it might be thoughtful of you to suggest a change of subject.

It takes a lot of time to wade through multiple pages to locate possible off topic posts that answer questions or make suggestions one is seeking answers for. You probably have a fast internet connection and therefore assume that others do too. Because of bad phone lines the fastest I can access is 24000bps and I know for a fact there are many others on this forum that have the same problem.

Sincerely yours,
    Judi
    IP

Judi,

good points

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

...thread.

Stu - you're right, the tablet is great. Much better than the cheap tablet I bought a few months ago and then gave to my brother.

Athena - thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker here for a few months and was very pleased to find Wacom still includes Painter Classic. I like the "feel" of painter and agree I will become addicted [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (However, Xara will always be my first love [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Thelonious and Erik - I always enjoy reading your posts.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

To answer the original post, I certainly hope not - because I just got here!

I'm enjoying the stuff here. I may not be able to read this everyday, let alone post something everyday but I really need a Painter community I can go to every once in a while.

Thanx all!
    Romeo
    IP