Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone tried Expression2 yet? Free cutdown version on Computer Arts Mag this month.
    The vector program that thinks it is a bitmap one?
    Tony
    Tony

Tony, I too am wanting to try this new version. I have long used Expression 1, as a supplement to FreeHand. The price is good from Creature House, especially as a downloadable upgrade. it does tempt me. There is no other program that works like Expression to change vector art into natural media. -Jeff Plummer[URL=http://www.plummerdesign.com]

Well, Jeff,

I took the plunge. The mag with the LE version also allows you to purchase the full version at upgrade price so I did,
    I'm bowled over by it, especially the water strokes.

Tony
    Tony

E2 is superb! There's nothing like it. Just get it!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I downloaded the tryout of E2. I used it on a couple projects during the workday. Yes, it is a great tool, just like E1.....BUT too slow. (Ran it on workstation under WIN98SE, 850mhz,256mb, Fire GL card) The projects were full vector, no bitmaps. Small files, no fills or grads. E2 seems to raster faster, but above that it lags in the redraw and transform areas. Still a WONDERFUL tool! But,I will stick with E1 until they make E2 faster. -Jeff mail@plummerdesign.com[/EMAIL]

I have a similar setup to yours Jeff, running on Win 98 2Ed. I can't say Ive noticed any delays, except when rasterising for printing. By all means send me one of your images (tonylondon@lineone.net) if you want a second opinion.

Tony
    Tony

you've done in either version. I'd like to see what's possible with this program. I've tried the demo once and didn't know what to do with it and the one tutorial page I found that most of the work was done in Illustrator and PS.

Thanks!

Here's my first attempt with expression 2. It has about 12 strokes and 3 objects and is made entirely within the application
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset2.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	17235  
    Tony

from 1998, for a local school poster. Done entirely in E1, using various opacities and a toss up of brush strokes. Fun. -Jeff

A new neat version 2.3 of Expression is out! Most notably, it has improved blending modes - Multiply and Screen now functions as they should. This makes for vastly better painting possibilities.

Get it at www.creaturehouse.com

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")