Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Just started playing with making new brushes, its easy, but.....

I made a brush out of a single object, an unfilled circle, with line colour purple. Fine so far. Save it, played with the spacings and other parameters and all seemed to behave as expected, except colour.

Ie, a draw a curve using my new brush, then while it was still selected, righclicked on a green on the colourbar, but my line stayed purple. I checked under fill properties and checked the change 'all colours', saved, but still i could not change the colour of my line and when I went back to edit the brush, found the 'no colours' box had become checked!

Its either me, a bug, or I've gone horribly colour blind in the last few minutes. Help please.
    Alan

Just started playing with making new brushes, its easy, but.....

I made a brush out of a single object, an unfilled circle, with line colour purple. Fine so far. Save it, played with the spacings and other parameters and all seemed to behave as expected, except colour.

Ie, a draw a curve using my new brush, then while it was still selected, righclicked on a green on the colourbar, but my line stayed purple. I checked under fill properties and checked the change 'all colours', saved, but still i could not change the colour of my line and when I went back to edit the brush, found the 'no colours' box had become checked!

Its either me, a bug, or I've gone horribly colour blind in the last few minutes. Help please.
    Alan

As far as I can make out the problem is the difference between line colours and fill colours.

As you stated you have no fill properties in your brush. Therefore right clicking on the colour bar makes no difference.

However if you gave the circle a fill then right clicking will change the fill value of the brush.

Hope this helps.

Eric
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Alan

If you are trying to change the color of the brush by modifying the outline color you have already discovered this cannot be done.

The outline only determines the path the brush takes and the thickness of the brush.

To change the color of the brush, you need to create a new brush. You could go so far as to create a whole jar full of brush shapes in all sizes and colors.

This help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

What I had not grasped was that a brush is not so much the outline of an object rather than the body (fill) of the object.

So draw a red circle filled with yellow and make that a brush. Paint with the new brush. Right click will enable you to change the colour of the circles filling, but nothing enables you to change the red outline.

Not sure i understand why they've done it that way but it seems to work.

Shout if you think I've got it all wrong. I think I understand now (he says cautiously!)

Thanks all.
    Alan

Hi Alan,

If you want to use an unfilled circle for a brush and still change the colour, use the Arrange Menu -> Convert Line to Shape. Then create your brush. Now when you right click on the colour bar the change will take place.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circlebrush.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	3402  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Right - so far so good, thanks everyone.

Now - I'm creating brushes quite successfully although some interesting discoveries on the way. Like don't mess with joined shapes, they seem to come unjoined in a peculiar way, but changing them to editable shapes before committing to a brush seems to get round that one.

My current fly-in-the-ointment is those 'All...' 'No...' 'Name brush colour' options in the Fill Properties tab under Edit brush, thats getting me.

Having read all I can I understand they provide controls on how the brush colour is permitted to change when in use. But things don't seem consistent.

Question: are they relevant at the brush creation stage or the brush application stage? By that I mean, would you set them at the time you create the brush, or at the time when you actaully apply the brush stroke to a path in your real drawing?

Or are they very dependant on what type of colurs you use in the creation of your brush, like local vs named colours?

I ask because they seem to change, and I can't get them to work the way I (misguidedly) think they ought to. EG I draw a line, set a certain brush onto it, nip into Edit, set No brush colours (believing that this will prevent the brush colour from being changed), Save the change, right click on colourbar, and lo the brush stroke changes colour. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

When i set them at the creation stage they seem to change of their own free will, at the time of use.

I am sure this is a wonderful little feature that I may find a use for, but at the moment its a road block in my learning curve.

Anyway I think (hope) this may be quite simple, but at the moment its me that feels quite simple, but as someone said in a post I read the other day, you get a block on the most simple of things that seem so daft when explained.
    Alan