Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I was playing with textile effects and this is what happened. Although created using xara it features the eye candy filter called 'weave'. The pic is my boy.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textiles.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	20191  

I was playing with textile effects and this is what happened. Although created using xara it features the eye candy filter called 'weave'. The pic is my boy.

Regards, Ross

Nice effect Ross. Here is another method.

I created a square with a rounded corner to which I applied a black and white Circular Fill, dragging the center of the fill to the upper left.

I created a grid of duplicate sqaures.

I created a Bitmap Copy and a duplicate bitmap to which I applied Sean Sedwards's Emboss Filter

I applied the Emboss Highlights to one bitmap and Emboss Shadows to the other.

Both embossed images were placed over the photo of my fuzzy son, Baxter.

A Bleach Transparency was applied to the Highlights bitmap (the dark one) and Stained Glass Transparency applied to the Shadows bitmap (the light one).

The benefit to this method is only the highlight and shadow portion of the image is altered while the color unaltered portions of the image retain their full color saturation.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Name:	portrait_baxter.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	12663  

I've been messing about with this a bit more and come up with the following.
    The cross stich is made of 2 elipses, add shapes. Place at top left of bitmap.
    Clone this and the bitmap. Arrange shapes intersect. This fills the stitch with that area of bitmap.
    No place a copy of the original cross stitch at the top right hand corner of the bitmap.
    Clone this and the bitmap. Arrange shapes / intersect.
    Repeat the above process for the bottom left and bottom right corners.
    (It may help to see the shapes by applying a line colour)
    Now blend the top left to the top right cross stitch. Adjust steps as required. Arrange convert to edibale shapes.
    Repeat the above for the bottom left & bottom right cross stitches.
    Now blend the bottom cross stitches to the top cross stitches.
    Adjust steps as required.
    Apply a 0% Stained Glass transparency.
    Clone move right and down. Apply a 0% Bleach transparency.
    Clone again and move between the last 2 transparencies, and apply a 0% contrast transparency.
    Egg

Name:	!girly_cross_stitch.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	9992  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

After I posted this I wondered what would happen if I applied a bevel to the cross stitches. 20 minutes of "processing please wait" I cntrl/shift/deleted out of XaraX and thought I'd try it again with only one matrix of cross stitches.

I reloaded the file, saved it under a different name, removed all but one layer of cross stitches, removed the transparency and applied a 2 pixel bevel. There must be approx 2000 shapes all with different bitmap fills so it was still a 2 cups of coffee and severals ciggy's later that XX rendered the image. I then had a long wait while I changed it to an internal bevel. (Wish Xara would allow you to set bevel properties completely prior to renering!)

The results equally interesting. If the stitches were made closer, and contrast and light elevation and a dffernent bevel applied I think the results would be even better.

Maybe someone with a faster PC and better graphics card might like to give it a try and post the results.
    Egg

Name:	!girly_cross_stitch2.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	16028  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Name:	!girly_cross_stitch3.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	4520  
    Egg

Gary - That's a nice effect and thanx for showing how it was done.

Egg - I tried something similar but with much tighter groups of bevels. I assembled a large array with the intention of being able to overlay it on any photo. Trouble is when you have 9600 beveled objects in a document, redraw climbs unacceptable levels [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (I calculated that's how many I had and still xara didn't give up - but I did).

The example below was made for fun and to show at a larger scale what the eye candy weave filter does. The Eye Candy 3 filters are good quality and they work well within Xara - and the price was right: FREE!!!

Regards, Ross

Name:	textile2.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	5113  

Ross
    Yes I agee it takes a lot of time. I tried it with just a section of an image and it was very slow. Equaly it doesn't really give a cros stitch effect. ie a single tread is still multi-coloured. But I'm enjoying the effects that you and Gary are making here and it's just great messing about.
    I attach the image with just a part area done. I also attach another with 2 different bevel types, one internal and one external. (this second one was fast enough to mess about with.
    I'll have to give the eye candy plug-in a try.
    Maybe Gary could make a plug-in for his bubble wrap effect;-)
    Egg

Name:	!girly_cross_stitch4.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	3914  
    Egg

Name:	!girly_cross_stitch6.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	19179  
    Egg

Gary's "bubble-wrap" kitty would make great mosaic flooring design...

Regards, Ross