Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sweet indeed... good to hear all is ok bud... [thumbs up]

[img]null[/img]

Well, it's my first time here and Hello to all. I have been messing around with Cinema 4D for a short time now and figured I could try this challenge as my first "real" project. I am in the very early stages still- Not even a car body yet- but these are the side jet propulsion engines. Hopefully I can get some more work done on the actual car itself soon.
    George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engines.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	3214  

Here's my wip so far. Guess I'm gonna have to start carving away at that car body sooner or later. I really am looking forward to learning how to use C4D to it's full potential. But that will be quite a bit down the road with so much to learn!
    George

Name:	jetcar2.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	19089  

Love it... keep it going... nice glow

Well, I only had a few minutes to even think about working on this lately, so I changed a few textures around. Still have not had time to start detailing the body- windows,mirrors and all that stuff! Looks like I still have alot to learn about 3D.
    George

Name:	purplecar.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	6686  

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Looks like I still have alot to learn about 3D <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be a never ending learning curve ;-} but it's fun.

There are several approaches to 3D:

01. pure coding
    02. modeling with polygons
    03. modeling with NURBS
    04. modeling using the technical approach with CAD

The first 3 are more creative, the fourth is straight forward, that means you develop the parts so that they will (or can) function in reality.

The creative approach is what I call 'fantasy' - there is no need to produce it in reality. All Sci-Fi stuff is done this way. All you need here is a great look, like with your car. OK, to me it looks more like a starship at this stage, but since it's work in progress, I can't guess what the result will look like.

For me - personally - everything must make sense in one way or the other, because I am thinking in a too much logically oriented way - read: if I would model a car or starship, it would not have the ultimate 'wow' effect, but you would be able to actually build it.

I think this is a matter of your heritage. Example: the movie 'Independence Day' was a German production. The spaceships are kind of simple and straightforward, with little or no fantasy. Compare it to StarWars or any other US Sci-Fi movie and you'll see the difference.

The Germans tend to implement the 'form follows function' approach ;-}, the Scandinavians tend to reduce everything to the minimum, the French and Italien like to play with shapes and colors and so on.

Just look around and burn everything into your EEPROM, and you'll discover very soon how much fun 3D really is.

All the best, thumbs up or keep your fingers crossed,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Now that was a fun read...

really some things to ponder on for sure

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>if I would model a car or starship, it would not have the ultimate 'wow' effect, but you would be able to actually build it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

one of the best statements I have read recently in any 3D forum anywhere in cyberworld...

Nice metals and glows there Buzz, keep it going, it will get there looking cool thus far

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I didn't mean that the construction would be able to fly through space. Do you know the difference between being able to built something and a functioning object? Thousands of 'man' years of experience.

I've never developed a diesel engine, but I could. And you would be able to build it. However, I couldn't guarantee it will run, because I don't have any experience with engines. That's just a fact, nothing else.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Thanks for all your help and encouragement! As far as the starship/car factor goes, I am sort of trying to create a futuristic car. The "car" of the future would resemble(in my opinion,that is)a starship. I would like to create this car using styles from the present being brought into a design of the future. This is sort of like the concept of the PT Cruiser- using the styling of the past,but made more up-to-date. Again,thanks for your replies,George

[This message was edited by Buzz2099 on April 22, 2003 at 13:22.]