Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Hey hey, I like those mags Mike... and the windshield is looking transparent for sure... more so than my feeble attempt... and hey, you put in a hood scoop, cool

Perhaps you have to have advanced settings enabled... re, the edge dividing ???

Yea, this sluggishness happens here too, when putting too many poly's on screen at one time... thing is... I think this app is really designed for low poly modeling.... game type modeling whereby the geom is basic and the "smoothing" is done via texturing as apposed to poly counts being high thus the surface's are smooth...

I thinks you model a part, say the wheel, then export to .obj file to your project folder... and when that part is a part of the whole as in the windshield for instance... you make the part "smooth" , then export, and then either undo back to where the part is once again basic, and or simply dissolve said area... this keeps the poly count down while working with the rest of the model... and once you have all of your parts made, then open up your other favorite 3D app to assemble, texture etc...

Well, back to trying to better understand some more of the tools and what they do, and how these moves effect the overall mesh... there is a secret to this low poly stuff... I just have to discover it... hahahaha

Happy tweaking all

[This message was edited by gidgit on February 01, 2003 at 22:15.]

Hey thanks guys.

Mike...
    DOn't use the "num pad" keys... just use the numbers keys along the top of your keyboard.

Ya i'm finding this Wings3D app to be a monster, like Rhino was when i first found out about it. VERY cool things the author has this app doing. Almost every function is like 2nd nature, in a very short time. Very well thoughout and designed. Bravo to the creator.

One WISH i have though is to be able to right-click and just swing the viewport camera around the model at will -- like in Rhino. He really NEEDS to add this to complete this list i believe.

Hey Mark... yup, I agree... this little app is amazing...

Of course you know the scroll wheel is for object rotation and zooming... but did you know that by hitting x,y or z will take you to that view, while shift-x,y,z will take you to the negative views, as in front as apposed to rear in the z view... x, y etc... ... oh and then there is always the ever hoky worlds slowest cam whereby when you have finished you masterpiece you can sit back and hit "u" for auto rotate...

Yea, it isn't the same as having a dolly cam, but... hey, on the other hand, I find the object rotate much more easy to use than same in any other app...

good to see everyone having fun...

You just made my day.Thanks for tip on line cutting.I did not realize there was a difference in the "number keys" and the "number pad" keys.

Try using the Blender camera mode.EDIT/Camera Mode/Camera Mode/Select. MB=Rotate View
    Shift+MB=Translate View
    Ctl=MB=Zoom
    Gidgit:You may know this already concerning your vertex selecting.Take a look in Preferences and make sure The Vertex Display numbers are not set too low or on Zero.May fix your problem.

Wings is one great app.
    I highly recommend downloading the Wings manual that Paul gave the link to.Tons of excellent info there.
    One more thing.The Smart Selection in Preferences is really neat too.
    Mike

Hey, now this is what it is all about... what a lot of great info surfacing bout how this app works...

Mike... I dialed the vertice>selected up to 10.0 and nada... no red dots... but... no biggy... for the price of this baby I will survive

Now then... with regards to the cam settings, I found all the Blender mode did was now make me use short cuts ontop of click rotate, so I changed back to the Mirai cam setting... hey, I would love to see a multi view as well, but... for what this thing brings to the table in intuitiveness in most every other area, well... once again, I will survive...

Interesting to note... since modeling with this app I have found that it has really given me a much better understanding of 3D creation ( like, even I can do it... )... and this knowledge has transfered over to whereby I understand much more about the 3D creative tools and process within other 3D apps as well...

The perfect learning tool...

However, from this point you would like to think... ok, now I will take this knowledge and apply it through working with a bigger app now... not... it would seem that once you get the gist of how things work in Wings... well... it is simply too easy not to use...

Yea, there are limitations for sure... I mean, this is no Cinema4D, or Maya, or even Carrara... it does not move around heavy poly models near as easy as does any of the big apps... and assembly, texturing etc... is much better left to those apps better suited... so... why the heck even get started with Wings then? Well, because for low poly modeling, there really isn't anything that compares in ease of use... least not for me...

This is why the gamer crowd has gone crazy for it... because they are all building low poly stuff... a thousand poly's or less... the rest taken care of via texturing etc...

So yea... there is a point whereby you really do require another bigger app with all the bells and whistles... but Wings still remains a very important tool to utilize within the process... and the most fun of the bunch

There, that's it... all the cheerleading I am going to do regarding the app known as Wings... ( the crowd cheers... hahaha ) from here on in, only tips and tricks, and may the worx tell the rest of the tale...

I am so stoked...

Now then... where are all the cars peoples ?

Hey Gig...

Ya i know about the x, y, z perspective views... but i cannot get my scroll wheel to rotate anything -- model or camera. It only works for zooming.

And i cannot use my middle mouse button (for clicking) because it hasn't worked for several months now... it just stopped working one day. Took it apart and it's nothing physical... must be digital.

Anywho...

Ah, Mark... what a drag man... ugggg

Time for a new mouse Mark... and if it your Wacom mouse then I really feel for ya... oh man, that would be a major bummer...

but, yea, I can see how this would hamper your Wings efforts some, considering how much this app really depends on the middle button rotate...

Wow, I put the browser down for a second and tried things out not utilizing the middle button and holy moly man, you are one handicapped Wingnut with out said feature...

good luck Mark, hope you get this resolved...

Do you know this nice car , based on revolutionary Antonov technology for the engine and the gear box ?

Fantastic design isn't it?

Kindly,
    ivan

wow, just the thing for urban transport... and zoom, this little buggy would be pretty quick with and old KZ1100 under the hood...

this is one fine car to attempt to model...
    If and when I get around to trying this one out perhaps a car challenge 2 thread will be in order... anyhoo, I am getting carried away ahead of myself... just it looks real fun like...

there are enough reference pictures on this site to really make a good go of it though eh...

Thanx Ivan

geez, I just finished bringing these pics in for reference, and looking closer I would have to say that the general shape is much along similar lines as my basic formula car... so... for those who would attempt this in Wings, well... an octotoad could be a good starting point... I doubt I could rework my formula car as the windshield etc is much different, better to start fresh.... but yea, looks very cool... and it could be fun modeling with actual reference...

[This message was edited by gidgit on February 03, 2003 at 15:23.]

Hey Gig, it's ok man.

I have an Intuos, not the graphire; which means no tablet mouse.

And i setup the app to use the "Blender" settings and a 2-button mouse. So to swing stuff around, i just hold the ALT key and drag the left button on screen. Simple as can be.

I can then still use the scroll wheel to zoom.

Saweeet!