Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I see somebody like create cars.

Thus here is a double little challenge :

1. I will post a 3D model which corresponds to the images below in .obj and .dxf formats in the next messages.
    It has been made with the technique explained in this thread .
    Play with them and show the results. You can modify them for your taste and add all the parts you want.
    (it may be "ramollished" afterwards).

or

2. Create your own car from scratch. It can be realistic or humoristic, a sports car or a family car or everything. The only idea is "a car".

or play with the two ideas or combine them.

Enjoy,
    ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car.png 
Views:	1017 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	19965  

...profile view...

Name:	air-car_profile.gif 
Views:	340 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	17737  

No update with the car....but decided to add some eyecandy after reading the recent post about Poser. George

Name:	chevygirlpostwork.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	11701  

Hey right on Mark... welcome to Ivan's "Car Challenge"... ah man, a flying car, now why didn't I think of that ? cool...

Yea, took a bit to learn some of the basics, but wow, this Wings is some fun eh?

Thanks for the further tips there Paul, and please do keep them coming...

Hey, now this is what it is all about... what a lot of great info surfacing bout how this app works...

Mike... I dialed the vertice>selected up to 10.0 and nada... no red dots... but... no biggy... for the price of this baby I will survive

Now then... with regards to the cam settings, I found all the Blender mode did was now make me use short cuts ontop of click rotate, so I changed back to the Mirai cam setting... hey, I would love to see a multi view as well, but... for what this thing brings to the table in intuitiveness in most every other area, well... once again, I will survive...

Interesting to note... since modeling with this app I have found that it has really given me a much better understanding of 3D creation ( like, even I can do it... )... and this knowledge has transfered over to whereby I understand much more about the 3D creative tools and process within other 3D apps as well...

The perfect learning tool...

However, from this point you would like to think... ok, now I will take this knowledge and apply it through working with a bigger app now... not... it would seem that once you get the gist of how things work in Wings... well... it is simply too easy not to use...

Yea, there are limitations for sure... I mean, this is no Cinema4D, or Maya, or even Carrara... it does not move around heavy poly models near as easy as does any of the big apps... and assembly, texturing etc... is much better left to those apps better suited... so... why the heck even get started with Wings then? Well, because for low poly modeling, there really isn't anything that compares in ease of use... least not for me...

This is why the gamer crowd has gone crazy for it... because they are all building low poly stuff... a thousand poly's or less... the rest taken care of via texturing etc...

So yea... there is a point whereby you really do require another bigger app with all the bells and whistles... but Wings still remains a very important tool to utilize within the process... and the most fun of the bunch

There, that's it... all the cheerleading I am going to do regarding the app known as Wings... ( the crowd cheers... hahaha ) from here on in, only tips and tricks, and may the worx tell the rest of the tale...

I am so stoked...

Now then... where are all the cars peoples ?

Well, it's my first time here and Hello to all. I have been messing around with Cinema 4D for a short time now and figured I could try this challenge as my first "real" project. I am in the very early stages still- Not even a car body yet- but these are the side jet propulsion engines. Hopefully I can get some more work done on the actual car itself soon.
    George

Name:	engines.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	3214  

Hey thanks guys.

Mike...
    DOn't use the "num pad" keys... just use the numbers keys along the top of your keyboard.

Ya i'm finding this Wings3D app to be a monster, like Rhino was when i first found out about it. VERY cool things the author has this app doing. Almost every function is like 2nd nature, in a very short time. Very well thoughout and designed. Bravo to the creator.

One WISH i have though is to be able to right-click and just swing the viewport camera around the model at will -- like in Rhino. He really NEEDS to add this to complete this list i believe.

...you wrote that you are having trouble seeing selected points. What version are you using? There was a bug in some of the previous versions, but at least in the latest (0.98.06c) version selected points are highlighted with red.

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Ah, Mark... what a drag man... ugggg

Time for a new mouse Mark... and if it your Wacom mouse then I really feel for ya... oh man, that would be a major bummer...

but, yea, I can see how this would hamper your Wings efforts some, considering how much this app really depends on the middle button rotate...

Wow, I put the browser down for a second and tried things out not utilizing the middle button and holy moly man, you are one handicapped Wingnut with out said feature...

good luck Mark, hope you get this resolved...

I just discovered this thread few minutes ago and thought i should share my latest image. It's a car modeling i made for a french forum where i'm a moderator (a Cinema4D comunity)... lot of people love to model cars, wich i found boring. So i started a thread promising to model a Lamborghini MurciƩlago using "box modeling". And so i did ;-)

But the result was not the one most expectated, as i used Antoine de Saint Exupery way of box modeling

The final image recall to Saint Exupery (author of "Le petit Prince"), Magritte and Kubrick. The name of the image is "Ceci n'est pas une caisse" (this is not a box/car)... "caisse" is a slang word for "car", as well as a translation of "box" (in french).

Original thread (in french)

The image in FC4D's galery

[This message was edited by Renaud on April 22, 2003 at 13:05.]