Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Color Style

Guys i need to create a color style in Draw.
    I read the CorelDraw help but with no clear understanding. is there is any tutorial on how to define and change the color.

Thanks
    IP

Guys i need to create a color style in Draw.
    I read the CorelDraw help but with no clear understanding. is there is any tutorial on how to define and change the color.

Thanks
    IP

AJ

I have been looking into your question. Specifically in relation to the Gel threads currently going on in the Xara X conference.

I don't often use color styles, but have been refreshing my memory, for some reason I am not getting consistant results using color styles in either Draw V7 or Draw V9 and I am trying to work out why?, since consistant results are supposed to be what color styles are about.

There is something I am not quite grasping and am trying to work out how to reliably use them. If I didn't know better I'd say there might be a problem, however I have not seen any specific posts in the Corel newsgroups to suggest this, so I am currently putting it down to finger trouble on my part.

Will post a proper answer one way or another soon.

One thing to try, Open up the Color Style roll-up or Docker

Create a few objects with different colors and do a select all,

Then in the rollup/docker, the last button should be create color styles from selected objects

You should end up with a list of colours in the selected objects listed in the rollup/docker, these can be renamed or edited by right clicking on the colours.

The colours in the list can be used in drag and drop mode, as you drag a colour from the list over an object it should change to outline colour first the fill colour.

After applying the renamed colours, you should be able to right click and edit the colour and see it changed throughout the drawing. But depending on if the object has been edited between creating the style and altering it, I am not allways getting the colours to change and this is what is worrying me.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Thank you for your reply i am going to try your way. Also i think i should post this question into XaraX fourm, I think BigFrank did something similar with the Van and the Gel chalenge.
    IP

Hi Aj. Well, I'm afraid that I don't have any good news. I've worked extensively with Color Styles in both Draw 9 and Draw 10. Unfortunately, they just are too buggy to use for anything even remotely complicated. I've done simple tests with just circles and squares, but Corel simply hasn't put the effort into making this feature worth using. The Color Styles will (most often randomly) forget what you applied them to. It doesn't matter if you've edited the object (though that tends to lead to corrupted Color Styles), or if you've simply added shades or tints of the color (child colors).

I tried to use Color Styles for gradient files, to create shaded pipes and water pumps. Corel has particular trouble with gradient nodes. You cannot add a Color Style to more than one node at a time. After changing a node to a Color Style (by dragging the style onto the node), you then have to change to the Object Picker tool (from the Interactive Fill tool), then change back to the Interactive Fill tool, and then you are able to add another color style to another node. But again, only one node at a time - and often if you put more than one color style onto a single gradient, it 'forgets' the other node's color styles quite easily.

All in all, I wouldn't use Color Styles for any project. They simply don't work yet. Maybe version 11 will come with reliable Color Styles.
    IP

Earl

So it is not just me, I was starting to wonder, I can confirm everything you have posted.

The thing is this problem has existed since at least version 7, you would think Corel would have done something about it by now.

I am homing in on some of the problems and I think it is related to the undo command, things seem to go really screwy if you change a style colour then use the undo command in the drawing.

AJ

As a work around you might want to try using the clone object feature and set up some form of style gallery on the desktop layer outside the page border.

Also the find and replace function works quite well so it is effective though not as easy to find and replace one colour with another.

Peter

P.S. Earl, Was there a full moon when your profile photo was taken [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Peter Clifton on April 03, 2001 at 01:06 AM.]
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP