Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: fishes

Back to Buck House. In the top shot the centre of the diamond formed by the four lamps on the left, is exactly one third from the top and one third from the left. This gives extra authority to this element coupled with the two way symmetry of the cross it forms, it is able to be the central point about which everything else revolves.

In the lower shot the left side is very heavy. I tried to carry the eye away with the railing but this was not enough. So I thought that I would use the flag. But the flag also was still not enough it needed more attention. To accomplish this I waited for the flag to completely straighten out in a way that didn't look natural. This surreal look that it imparted to the flag was enough to create the harmony I was looking for.

This is another way to give an element more weight. We have seen colour, shape, line and intrinsic properties but this is a more subtle way again. If an object can be depicted in a way that is slightly surreal it will work on an unconscious level. Notice how you just want to keep looking at the flag because it looks so artificial.

T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buck_house.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	14745  
    IP

"Re: Joining Us
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Panfer!
    How nice of you to drop in (down) to see us way down here."
    Thank You
    Gosh 3 pages.
    I am slow and with Out of town visitors so computer time is very little at the moment. But I do check once in a while and read a post or two and grasp a few of the informative lessons you all post here. I haven't had time to practice much on my Classic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    IP

Panfer, hi

I'll bet you haven't had time to clean that closet either.

It's always a pleasure when you drop in however I must point out that you have taken the prime position on page 4.

This thread is getting very expensive to maintain and I was hoping to sell that space to Corel for the upcoming version of P7.

Failing that, there are others who have been down at the bottom for quite some time and it would be nice to have allowed them to come up for some air, or even to say hello to their loved ones, some of whom have been camping out near the top of this thread patiently waiting for just such an occasion for two weeks.

Anyway having said that I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that we have some really exciting stuff planned on page 4.

As you know we are expecting some visits at around level 63 of some very rare fish. These are postees some of whom have *never* been seen on a public forum before. We're all quite excited about this and I myself tingle with anticipation. However no promises can be made and we will not be refunding any entrance fees for non appearance.

What else, oh yeah there'll be contests and prizes. Lot's more neat tutorials of course. So keep those fishies coming in.

T

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on July 12, 2001 at 12:12.]
    IP

At least that's what I think the name was.

ATTENTION: the following image is by Inkings. I believe it is called ESpacewhale. I could be wrong about the name

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

That's better,

Athena

Name:	Espacewhale.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	1764  
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

ok.

In the thread I started on composition shameless plug for the composition thread =P, Thelonious pointed out that to a certain degree, there are 2 parts to composition.

1. the part you can learn (here I'll postulate that this half is the left hemisphere of the brain in action)
    2. and the intuitive part (this the part where you just have to practice. and I am guessing that possibly this activity is in the right hemisphere)

ehhh so did I kiss the Blarney stone on that one? well probably so. But my point is, in today's culture, we are aware of right and left brain activity. So it is entirely plausible that something as vast as composition could be taking up computational resources from BOTH hemispheres.

and here again I may be kissing the Blarney Stone on this next idea but here goes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It occurred to me that simply raving about how majestic Thelonious' Buckingham Palace Gate photo looked wasn't very constructive. It didn't answer why, exactly.

So I gave myself time to think about that.
    Why?

my answer:

The child's eye view of wonder. (Is this a real art or photography phrase? I doubt it.)

The angle of the photo is from below. Now I've never seen the real Buckingham palace. I don't know how tall or short the real walls are. But this angle captures that wonder of a child looking up and seeing the majesty of the gate. Surely the designers intended the gate to look that imposing.

Again, here is where that particular angle is so important. If, somehow, the angle had been straight on . . . then the gate would have looked more humdrum --- less dynamic.
    http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=7621934632

And the 2nd photo. ahh how fantastic again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

the lines on the right. the arcs on the left. again, a child's eye view of wonder. How many people have passed this street corner and never marvelled at the fabulous lines and arcs here? Quite a few, I'd be willing to bet. And yet, here Thelonious has captured this for us. The decoration at the top of the lamp-post fits in with the decoration at the top of the building. the curves blend into the lines. The fence, the lamp-post, the height of the building all working together.

And once again most of this scene fills up the canvas. With a bit of clear sky for visual relief. I just wanted to take a moment to elaborate as why I liked these photos.

Are those the only reasons? probably not. those are the ones I could put words to, though.

It's just that sometimes, it's one thing to say something nice about another person's work. It's completely another thing to say why you like it. And for me, that is more useful. To have reasons why. So I have reference point. I did such and such. The reaction was x,y,z. And hopefully we can learn that way.

So for example, Theolonious gave some specifics of what he liked about Dawn's fish image (before that server took a nosedive . . . or was it a deep sea dive? internet servers and water don't mix well)

Ok I'll let y'all take a break. Thelonious has given me lots to talk about (thank you, Thelonious. You've been teaching me alot [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ). I might make a cherry flavored sno-cone soon and then come back.

Well. . .I will come back. . . the sno-cone. . . .we'll see. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] My chores invite me.

Take care,

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Yes just a reminder, while those people in the southern hemisphere,like Stu (aka Kiwi), are enjoying a nice chilly winter. Up here in Houston, Texas we are enjoying a wonderful muggy summer.

And just about now, I'm reviving my wish list for forum features directed at the powers that be.

I wish you could post in a topic tree. instead of being forced to post linearly. This way, you could address the topic that you are thinking of directly. . . oh well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] beggars can't be choosers. (the cost of hosting and maintaining this forum isn't coming out of MY pocket. . .so I'll be patient [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

ok now here is my question to Thelonious.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1561926632

I can see what you mean about the red counteracting the large amount of blue sky. But I am curious.

1. <LI>without the red *routemaster*, does it really look unpleasant or just ordinary? I guess the sky does seem pretty big without the red "routemaster".
      <LI>how would we fix it if we didn't have the fortune of getting the "routemaster" or the tourmaster hose [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
      <LI>would you have zeroed in more on the structure before you? as in clipping out more of the sky and some of the sidewalk to have the arch and the statue fill the view. I'm guessing that is brickwork on the floor there so have the brickwork along the very bottom (instead of the pavement?)
      <LI>not really meaning to criticize (please don't take this as criticism). . .just wondering how you would have fixed it without having the "routemaster"?

but you've been bringing up some fascinating points. It's been very absorbing reading. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thank you,

Athena

revisionist history strikes again:

corrected bleu to blue
    corrected tourmaster to *routemaster*
    was it a dyslexic moment? I have no idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on July 16, 2001 at 10:53.]
    Athena
    IP

Whoa Athena,
    I've got a big ass ego like everyone else but that is too effusive. Thanks anyway, I do like to look over someones shoulder to see what shots they stop at, so it is good to get your feedback. Athough I do usually prefer a lower profile. About say level 89.

Anyway to answer your question. I was attracted to this shot in the first place because of the very high contrast lighting. The road was a bit dull and the routemaster did need the shadow of the horses to make it worthwhile. But in the end it was just an example for the composition thread. If I would do anything else it would be more likely to highlight the contrast and stark shapes. Here's what I would have shot if the bus wasn't to be and I had to take something. Not much I can say about the composition on this one except it is one of those ones where it feels right.

Name:	closehorse.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	14500  
    IP

Here's another one where the centre of the door has been placed on the third, and also the hands dropping whatever it is into the basket on the other third. But it was the tight cropping on the roofs and lots of foreground which I gave the most thought to. I knew I'd only get one go at this as I could see the woman shuffling into the shot and I knew the bird would take off at the crucial moment.

The blue wall and the various pots and wok is what made the shot worthwhile to me.

T

Name:	Manjunatha-Temple.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	8167  
    IP

My fishie swims again.....
    IP

Dawn,

Thank you.

I was enjoying just dropping down these levels to admire the fishie. (ehh it's the only way we can see him . . . we can't take him home with us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

and he wasn't on your site either . . . made me worry something had happened to your server. . ..like it got too much water or something

Athena

Athena
    IP