Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: fishes

Sunn-Ra Tree,

Hi, and welcome to the basement/ocean floor of fishes. I'm glad you took the time to read our thread. It is a bit unusual, isn't it?

Hope to see more of your Painter work, and contributions to our thread of madness. ;o)

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

I think we're at the bottom of the fishes, when all we see are fish..lol This could be a book and printing would take a huge bite out of my printer's ink.
    Thanks for the pleasant ride...
    http://creationsbydawn.net/showoff/angelfish2.jpg
    IP

Wow Dawnre,

That's one lush fish. It's got everything. Beautiful hatch work, colours. This has soul.
    In fact it might even be a deep sea soul. If it isn't it should be. Soul yeah.

It's representative of the soul that exists when you get this deep.

I feel like making up with Sky. Sky let me say forget about the other thread. Think of soul.

Let me publicly say: Sky, you are soul. That's what my friend Peter says.

I feel better now. Sky you are soul. That's got a good ring to it.

Anyway Dawre I'm glad that we're back "on topic" with your wonderful fish. It's got that quality that just inspires one to forget the trickery, and get out Painter and paint. And that can't be bad.

At this level the fish is king or queen. Let's see more fishies after all it is a fishie thread.

cheers thelonious
    IP

Having a whale of a time with the creatures of the deep fishie thread. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whale.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	12611  
    IP

Dawn,

What a neat surprise to find your pretty fish swimming at the bottom of the thread! Thanks for brightening things up.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Glad to see my fishes started such a long thread. Nice to see all your work. Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

As we seemed to have come back to where we started I now enclose my latest unexpurgated tutorial on file extensions for loading images without a link.

T

Name:	name.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	19624  
    IP

An often overlooked element in a composition is where something has an intrinsic property to direct the eye. Like an arrow for instance.

In the following composition I have used the shadows and placement of objects to strike a pleasing result. However the arrows formed by the birdie footprints caused me to spend some time finding the right spot.

Whether I succeeded or not is not the point. the point is to be aware of the intrinsic properties of objects to push the eye around.

In a very cute scene such as this one must not be beguiled by the subject (not till after you've done your artistic duty as it were) and just record any old shot. It is your duty as artists to find beauty in ugliness, balance in asymmetry and beauty in truth.

thelonious

Name:	birdfeet.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	17269  
    IP

This lesson on composition is about unifying a lot of cluttered element.

The guerilla shot is perfect for honing your composition skills. A public art gallery is a good place and you will have about 20 seconds. Leica is the camera of choice for this type of maneuver. The horsey is obviously going to be a strong element and I knew that the rule of thirds was the best place for it.

There are strong curved elements and there is the light of the skylight and the dark almost silhouette horse. This is what we have to work with. The main curve enters bottom left and rests on the frame of the shot then carries up through the horse. Then there are the legs which are echoed in the upper pillars. Finally the central part of the dome position was very important. In this case it was placed in a direct line running through the horse.

Even the most cluttered shot can be made harmonious if you can somehow unite all the elements. Look for echoing themes and scaling of shapes. In this case the horse legs and pillars. Also the arches are balanced with a big bit of arch in the bottom right corner.

If you are clear in your mind what you intend to do then 10 seconds can be a very long time.

T

Name:	horse.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	4648  
    IP

This lesson looks at how one may decide which element should go into the magic position of the third. I myself almost invariabley deliberately put something on the third. Sometimes it is not so obvious what it should be.

A simple snow scene. It looked nice the way the branches were all sweeping in one direction. This was going to be tricky to not lose the shot in the background. This is probably not overly successful but it is rescued by a simple device that provided some breathing space to the tangle.

As your eye is naturally carried along to the right, I thought that the ends of the branches in this case were the important bit, even though they sort of peter out and are not obvious. After deciding this I positioned the branch ends at the third. I was able to back the beginning of the branches right up against the left side which normally I wouldn't do but you can get away with it here because as soon as your eye rests on the left it is immediately swept along. Because the ends of the branches end well before the edge, your eye can stay in the picture by resting in the open space. If the ends of the branches were too close to the edge, the composition would be unsatisfying because your eye would want to wander out of the frame. Here when it gets to the end your eye can sort of fall off and sit in the snow for a while.

T

Name:	snow.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	3743  
    IP