Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: fishes

Panfer,

Even Jinny and Thelonious started somewhere. They didn't quite burst forth from someone's head fullgrown [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

But they DO have one noticeable advantage, aside from years of practice. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] They have Painter.

Someone in a much earlier thread once said that giving people Painter Classic was similar to someone on the sidewalk saying "Hey, little girl, you want some candy?" They (the makers of Painter and Painter Classic) know that they will get you hooked and begging for more.

So many things depend on not just having the skill but with having the correct tools to implement with.

Do work on the observation skills Thelonious just outlined and play with the tools you have in Painter Classic (Do what you can with what you have). For example, when I saw the story on Aurora Borealis in The Houston Chronicle, I knew I could emulate that in Painter (and others have shown it can be done in Painter classic also). I knew it could be done because I had played with the tools painter has.

Actually, I'm remembering the waterfalls in your image. Based on your composition, I have to agree with another visitor here. You've got a really good start on the observation part. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Well I don't know Jinny.

I would have to lock the first piece so we wouldn't be chasing down two iterations of the original. I've never locked a topic before. It seems unfriendly to lock a topic.

But is the tedious download any friendlier? Hmmm... why do you people persist in making me think?

But maybe for the sake of convenience, I can see it is a bit tedious getting down this far . . but it's kind of interesting to see it in it's entirety. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I may hop over to the test forum and see how it works. . . no point in publicly messing things up when I can do it a bit more privately first. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Give me a few hours.

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Jinny,

these posts are a family. If I separated out the different pages then locked the completed ones (to avoid multiple iterations.); then once locked, they would cease to be updated and then they would quickly fall to the bottom of the forum floor and Ganga and the fishies and all the other interesting stuff would be lost or orphaned.

I just can't let that happen. They have to stay together.

Curious newcomers wanting in on the first chapter would be forced to wade through a large sea of threads to find the first chapter, when it can be neatly tucked here next to it's followers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

Haven't you always hated coming in on part 2 or 3 of a good series only to discover that part 1 is unlocatable or outlandishly priced?

Athena
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Athena
    IP

Hi Everyone,
    Glad you liked it Thanks for the input. There's a lot to catch up on. I'd like to say first of all that you had me a bit worried at first Athena you see while I've been down here I have found a few side tunnels. Some of the passages are pretty tight and it's hard to hear what's going on. There's also this sort of slime that's growing from the wall that smells a bit like cedarwood oil. I panicked a bit when I heard you say (that's right I'm in this really weird tunnel where I can hear what you write, spooky) you might lock the thread. Sure it's quite relaxing down here but my computer is up there. I don't want to get stuck here.

Do what you want with the thread by all means, dupe it if you want, I'll join in but I like coming down here late at night and you know just hanging around. Plus I've got some real surprises in store but that'll be waaay down deep. We don't wear shoes down here and life is kind of slow, easily paced. Make a cup of cocao while the page downloads. Pretty soon you'll be able to make dinner as well.

Anyone can feel safe down here. By the way Panfer good to see you back. Feel free to post some more classic painter stuff. Heck even Skydancer is welcome to drop in and post a link.

I'm applying for a grant, if I get it I'll really fix it up down here. there'll be a veg cafe and lot's of fun competitions so everyone can feel really inadequate. Come on only joking.

Anyway back to the topic. As far as composition goes you'll notice that the hand is a third of the way in and a third of the way down. The rule of thirds is well known and has been used by many great artists all through history it can be a big help to keep this in mind when composing your test shots. Often it is not obvious. Even if you are shooting a fairly bland subject there will be subtle aspects that will draw your attention. Be aware how they are placed. For example a plain wall that you might wish to shoot for its texture will usually still have some feature that stands out. Like a hook with a shadow or even a stain or crack.

Buckingham Palace looks a bit bland from the fence which you have to stand behind but forget the palace and concentrate on the fence. I often pick a particularly boring subject and try to see it in a different light.

T

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on July 03, 2001 at 07:13.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buck.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	13786  
    IP

Golly, I'm panting, it's so far down here. I thought I'd never reach this hidden cavern. Maybe you're running low on air and getting a bit giddy. Should I climb back to the top to get you some supplies????
    What an adventure, and who ever said that getting lost is no fun? lol Next time I'll bring my pick so I can chisel on the wall too...
    IP

<UL>Supply list[*]Rat-trap cheese[*]rat trap (uhh you know . . to "take care of" the rats Jinny saw) [*]some flashlights[*]batteries[*]extension cord[*]oxygen tanks just in case. . . .you know what happened to the canary . . .[/list]

uhhh Thelonious,

the admin program is having a bit of difficulty seeing this far down. I really hadn't realized how deep we had gotten. The long and the short is. . .I haven't been able to dupe the post that I had wanted to dupe. You can see for yourself in the test forum. I tried to dupe one of Stu's test posts (since I couldn't find my own from way back when) and his attachment stayed put. It wouldn't budge. . .so the duplicate was incomplete. Now I could make a link back to your attachment, but that still doesn't fix the author problem =(

I've already asked the powers that be to look into this but it's coming up on the end of the work day over there. So I don't expect any improvements today [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If I were to cut and paste, then the author part would not say Thelonious Hink . . . so when you get back. . . maybe you could dupe it for me? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(It's not my fault, honest. The admin program can't believe we have such an active forum. I wouldn't be imposing on you if the admin program were being a bit more reasonable.)

and look, now we have two posts on composition that need to be duped over to the other thread.

These posts on composition are just too good to leave buried so deep. Thank you for adding more about composition.

Athena

Athena
    IP

Fantastic!

The camera angles are fantastic! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] that's the sort of Dynamic composition I love to see. You've made the gate look even more majestic.

And the photo with the telephone booth, and the streetlamp, also fantastic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Athena
    Athena
    IP

Athena,

Of course it would be terrible to break this thread in half and watch the first half drift off into the sunset never to be found again!

Sorry to have caused you even a moment's extra work testing. Silly me!

Besides, it's getting a lot cozier now that we have people of considerable imagination joining us.

Thelonious,

I like your bottom photo a lot. It's the perfect perspective from down here and isn't it great that we have a sky tube to see it through?

Dawn,

If you manage to get out of here, please do bring back supplies. In order of priority: Oxygen, popcorn, T.P. (lots of that), and tweezers (I have a splinter in my toe that's driving me crazy).

On the other hand, if you find it's difficult, don't worry. We'll manage somehow.

Now to find some breakfast before it's lunch time.

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Here we have an aspect that breaks the rules. The following shot is symetrical about the centre axis and also the main horizontal line is central. Normally this would look unpleasant. Indeed if you remove the red bus with your finger you can see how it looks like a typical boring tourist shot.

However by patiently waiting for an old "routemaster" to rumble by everything is changed. Suddenly the expanse of sky has something to react to. The red is very strong and it only takes a little to balance the big blue sky. The up down tension caused by your eye being continually dragged down to the bus, coupled with the placement of the bus in the arch is enough to counteract the symmetry about the vertical axis.

Fortunately in Painter you can make a "routemaster" hose and instead of waiting around for half an hour you can just hose on as many routemasters as is necessary to make your composition work.

T

Name:	arch.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	7392  
    IP

At the end of this amazing thread of maddness i am compelled to join the forum.
    Having no college training myself, this is just terrific.

What a fun journey to the basement, i felt like Alice in wonderland when she fell into the rabbit hole. It takes about 45 minutes to read it all !!!
    Painter was given to me and this attachment was my first attempt.. i don't know how it happened..just playing around all night with masks and the airbrush.

On composition i would like to add that the first thing that became really apparent to me is how many paintings i ruined by not STOPPING!!!

Here we are on the ocean floor of fishes***

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Name:	-newvisera.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	3436  
    IP