I use 3ds Max R4, and it's default renderer has no radiosity solution at all. So, for instance, if you have a single light source outside of a window, the room is pitch black. This is counter to nature. Light rays (photons) should, by their nature, enter the room and bounce around.

When I think of radiosity, I think of my bedroom, where my PC is located: most of the time, the entire room is lit by a single 100 watt bulb in an upwards-facing fixture (and the monitor itself). The light bounces from ceiling and walls to light the room, without any "super-black" corners of shadow.

Or consider the ever-popular halogen torchiere, where the light is directed almost exclusively on the ceiling: the room is still well lit, and this is the crux of radiosity. If the ceiling were black, the room would remain very dark. If it were pink, the entire room would take on a pink hue. This is not possible to render accurately without "cheating" with colored lights in 3ds.

As far as radiosity being a "new" concept, and no disrespect is meant here, it is by no means a recent consideration. I direct you here:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/box/

Check out the "history" link: as long ago as 1984 Cornell was obviously concerned with radiosity and its' solutions.

There is a tutorial supplied with 3ds Max that specifically shows you how to "cheat" a radiosity solution for the Cornell Box with colored lights. I simply prefer a natural bouncing of photons to a workaround.

(Sorry so long)...
Brett