Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: XaraX Book

Been playing around with XaraX for a few months now And compared to other vector programs it is a joy to use.
    However, been wondering if anyone is actually writing (or thinking of) a book on this brilliant program. You know- covering the basics, tutorials, advanced stuff....I'm sure there'd be plenty of interested people who would buy such a book (and no I am not offering!!) Gary, what about you?

Unless of course there's already one out.....

Amanda
    alh@strayduck.com

Been playing around with XaraX for a few months now And compared to other vector programs it is a joy to use.
    However, been wondering if anyone is actually writing (or thinking of) a book on this brilliant program. You know- covering the basics, tutorials, advanced stuff....I'm sure there'd be plenty of interested people who would buy such a book (and no I am not offering!!) Gary, what about you?

Unless of course there's already one out.....

Amanda
    alh@strayduck.com

Hello,

some months ago Gary Priester announced that another Gary (...David Bouton) has the idea to write this kind of book.

Here are the coordinates of G. D. Bouton:

G. D. Bouton is also moderator on the 3D forum.

Regards,

ivan

Thanks for the reply Ivan
    Can't wait for the book.....any idea when it will come out or is that like asking how long's a piece of string?

Amanda [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You did visit www.xaraxone.com ?
    In the Xealots grows a very good book on Xara. Together with the movies (take pen and pencil and make notes of the tips they give) that come with the CDRom, and the tips here in this forum , the tips and the brushes forum, I wonder what more can be explained. But, like you, I am Gutenbergian and love to hold an old fashioned book in my hands.
    Or, if necessary, a PDF version of one... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Thank you for pointing that out to me!! I am downloading as I type. However, I do feel that a published book (traditional!)on XaraX would not only be helpful to all users but would maybe raise its profile. I know a number of people who use Illustrator and Freehand because they are the so-called industry standard. I have shown them what I can do in XaraX (which isn't earth shattering) and they are impressed but there is this doubt over its credibility in terms of price (why I don't know) and also lack of printed material. I really would like this program to break these barriers and put a small company properly on the map.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox- thanx again for the info

Regards
    Amanda [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

The combination of all Gary P's Xealots, CorelDRAW tutorials and mini tutorials plus guest and mini tuorials of other forum members constitute a considerable resource. Just download, print (one copy!) and save in a binder. Pretty soon you'll be able to create your own front cover ;-)

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Min

I have stated this over the years when people have suggested that I write a book, writing books is incredibly hard work, for the most miniscule amount of money.

Basically authors are betting against the odds that enough people will buy their books that they royalties they make over the meager advance will amount to something. In the case of my two books, both of which I am extremely proud, I did not earn a dime over royalties. Each book took about six months of writing and illustrating and both were entirely in color. They were not cheap, but in my opinion were were the retail price.

I would rather write the monthly tutorials and edit the WebXealot, which contains all and more than you will get in a book. Each tutorial and copy of the WebXealot is downloadable so you can work at your own pace.

I know Gary B. will do a terrific job on his book, and perhaps he will attract some of the readers of his best-selling Photoshop books. I wish him all the best with his book.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Gary,

you may remember my comment the other day (to your glass tutorial) that I'd buy any book you wrote on Xara X - I didn't realise this was your experience/conclusion... but I entirely agree the web format works superbly.

Keep up the good work! I have been using Xara for years and find your tutorials have triggered a new found interest!

Bri

Enjoy life & Be Happy! it's that simple!

I am downloading the *manual* from the Xealot site, printing them off & putting them in a binder- invaluable! Enjoying the forum and learning a lot!! Appreciate your comments Gary and others - the 'net is the best place to publish 'cos it's *free* (bar phone charges) and interactive. Guess the luddite in me has got to adapt!

Best wishes
    Amanda