Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know this has been covered before, but I can't for the life of me find this via a search!

How do you take a color .bmp and manipulate it so that only a certain section/portion of the image remains in color, while rendering the rest black and white?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I know this has been covered before, but I can't for the life of me find this via a search!

How do you take a color .bmp and manipulate it so that only a certain section/portion of the image remains in color, while rendering the rest black and white?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I guess I could always use the shape editor tool, or quick shape tool to outline the part of the image that I want to keep in color, select that shape and the rest of the image...combine/slice the shapes...and then set the transparency on the "background" part of the image to flat/darken/0%.

Is there a more elegant method, or a method that will work much more efficiently should the image/shape that I want to keep in color be a bit more complex?

Hi D-Rock,

I would make a clone of the bitmap and then use transparency on the one on top. The attachment uses an elliptical transparency with a profile.

Soquili
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmp-trans.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	11818  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks, Soquili!

Could you humor me and provide the settings on the transparency in your example? Elliptical...mix? Saturation? Beginning trans...end trans...which profile etc.

I know, I know...I'm a pain!

That would be double-dog cool.

Someplace around here (I can't remember either) I saw that if you create an shape overtop of your bitmap (color black) and then apply a flat transparency, saturation=0 percent, I think you'll get a similar effect. You can then change the transpency to linear or whatever and the grey effect remains. I've never posted a jpg here before but here goes...
    Phillip

Name:	leaves.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	9285  
    --
    Phillip

Hi D-Rock,

Here's another approach, based on techniques discussed by others in this forum.

http://home.attbi.com/~alkolka/alkolka.gif

Name:	mask.gif 
Views:	316 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	18632  

Awesome!

Thanks to all for the tips. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to offer suggestions.

You've all helped me a great deal!

Have a great one.

XaraX has many ways to skin a cat.
    Egg

Name:	b_w_flower.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	18014  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cool! Thanks, Egg.

You've all been great!