Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I felt badly that we've only had two competitions and not many people participated. Perhaps if we did it for a REAL gold statue, or something...

I cannot think of a contest for October. If ya wanna keep this going, does anyone have an idea for an aspect of modeling to explore?

In the meantime, I wanted to thank everyone who has made a real contribution to this forum. EVERYONE is a winner!

I'm uploading a model of a paintcan in dxf format, all separated on layers for unique texturing in other programs. Also, I created a typeface called "Vases". You use it in a modeling program that accepts TrueType (the upload file has both Mac and Windows Vases font). You lathe each character for a unique shape, as shown in the attached image. And yes, there *is* a vase or two in Vases.

I save a lot of time with background models by creating fonts expressly designed to create a lathed or extruded shape.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gifts.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	16127  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

I felt badly that we've only had two competitions and not many people participated. Perhaps if we did it for a REAL gold statue, or something...

I cannot think of a contest for October. If ya wanna keep this going, does anyone have an idea for an aspect of modeling to explore?

In the meantime, I wanted to thank everyone who has made a real contribution to this forum. EVERYONE is a winner!

I'm uploading a model of a paintcan in dxf format, all separated on layers for unique texturing in other programs. Also, I created a typeface called "Vases". You use it in a modeling program that accepts TrueType (the upload file has both Mac and Windows Vases font). You lathe each character for a unique shape, as shown in the attached image. And yes, there *is* a vase or two in Vases.

I save a lot of time with background models by creating fonts expressly designed to create a lathed or extruded shape.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

See the attachment.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

See attached.

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

...a test of resourcefulness, and an example that shows you're familiar with your chosen 3D program?

The contest would consist of creating a real world object, that is completely recognizeable as such... but... creating the object ONLY USING ONE TYPE OF SHAPE.

So...
    This mean that for instance, if i were to create a couch... i could only use one shape to make it... like all spheres, or all squares, etc.

You are allowed to do anything you see fit to the shapes to make them suit your purpose, EXCEPT SLICING them up; and this includes Boolean subtractions & intersections. They MUST stay in their primary condition. You CAN however squish, pull, stretch, etc to them. This includes editing them at the "node" or "point" level too; since this would demonstrate your knowledge of your program.

If you choose to use squares, then beveling is allowed... BUT... if you bevel *one* square, you must bevel them *all*. Every shape used to create the object MUST be identical primarily.

Texturing is not required, because the object should be recognizeable without that. But you can if you want.

Does this sound like a good challenge?
    Any questions?

[This message was edited by Mark (theKeeper) on September 28, 2001 at 14:18.]

I am not sure if this is worthy candidate for a contest or not. Anyway .... what if Gary published a file with 3 or 4 objects. The challange is bring those objects into whatever 3D program and then, USING LIGHTING TECHNIQUES, see what type of composition you can up with. The objects couldn't be moved or their shaped modified. Only planes for backgrounds, textures to the objects, and lights are permitted.

...and a good idea to consider.

Here's an example of my idea; in case i didn't explain it well enough.

The entire clock object was made from ONLY torus shapes, nothing else.
    I like what the "hands" really look like from the profile angle. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Only thing is... there's no mechanism designed for it...but that's not a requirement. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

If we go with this idea, consider this my entry, and the one to start things off.

I like the lighting challenge idea too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D_torus_clock.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	7383  

Gary,
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You use it in a modeling program that accepts TrueType <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to know which program you are referring to, please.

Mark,
    That clock is really off the wall [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] The hands are cool.

W

Just about every modeling program I've seen and/or used will let you type 3D text. trueSpace, 3D Studio, Maya, Cinema 4D, Strata, even Adobe Dimensions.

However, most modeling programs do NOT accept Type 1, probably because Adobe Type Manager changes specs with every version!

Just add the appropriate file to your file manager, and then type a character in your modeling program, and define the axis of lathing as the "straight side" (usually I did the left side), and you'll wind up with instant pawns, queens, goldfish bols, and vases and beakers.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com