Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm getting a new laptop on Tuesday, and wonder about this Win XP activation stuff: If I don't connect and activate it, can I still run my brand-new laptop normally for a while? Or does it have to be activated right away? I've looked at the MS site, but didn't see any quick, easy links to answer this!

Also, any thoughts on the difference between XP Home and XP Pro? Is Pro worth the extra money?

Thanks!

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I'm getting a new laptop on Tuesday, and wonder about this Win XP activation stuff: If I don't connect and activate it, can I still run my brand-new laptop normally for a while? Or does it have to be activated right away? I've looked at the MS site, but didn't see any quick, easy links to answer this!

Also, any thoughts on the difference between XP Home and XP Pro? Is Pro worth the extra money?

Thanks!

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

You might check here:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-200

"Are there any users who won't have to activate their copies of Windows XP?
    Yes:
    If you purchase a new computer with Windows XP pre-installed, it will most likely come pre-activated. The only problem then is if you attempt a major upgrade."

"The version of Windows XP Professional sold with a large corporate site-license doesn't contain the activation code. If you're using that version, you'll never have to activate it."

Its a pretty good site for all things Windows.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

Thanks, Grant! I can have easily get it preinstalled, but the dealer will charge me for that - so I was really wondering (A) if I should install it myself (B) and if that was possible without the activation.

Any thoughts on the two versions?

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K

If you do any networking you'll want Pro. It is really just W2K with eye candy desktops and driver updates. The activation is no big thing and since it is a laptop, you won't be changing any hardware which would confuse it. If you like W2K just change the view setting to "Classic Mode" and thing should look pretty much the same.

I don't use it myself but have clients that do.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark