Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all.

I'm currently running CorelDraw 9 on Win 2K. One problem with this setup is that custom workspaces are not saved using the Workspaces folder, as such they cannot be reinstalled after a reformat. It's possible on Win 98 but not 2K due to the way 2K stores info.

I just wondered if anyone ever discovered where the file that stores this information can be found in Win 2K. I'm not even sure that such a file exist in Win 2K, as I suspect the changes are stored in the registry rather than a file.

I know this has been resolved in later versions but, if anyone knows a solution to saving workspaces, with CD9 on Win 2K, it would be much appreciated.

Sark
    IP

Hi all.

I'm currently running CorelDraw 9 on Win 2K. One problem with this setup is that custom workspaces are not saved using the Workspaces folder, as such they cannot be reinstalled after a reformat. It's possible on Win 98 but not 2K due to the way 2K stores info.

I just wondered if anyone ever discovered where the file that stores this information can be found in Win 2K. I'm not even sure that such a file exist in Win 2K, as I suspect the changes are stored in the registry rather than a file.

I know this has been resolved in later versions but, if anyone knows a solution to saving workspaces, with CD9 on Win 2K, it would be much appreciated.

Sark
    IP

On any Windows NT based operating system, workspaces and other related application files should be stored under the profile of the logged on user.

This is a standard requirement for most complex applications that run on these operating systems.

This is usually under a hidden folder. On XP it is commonly located at

c:\documents and settings\{username}\application data\

Not sure where it is physically on Windows 2000 however open a command prompt window and enter

CD %USERPROFILE%
    DIR /A:H

Which should list the folder and true path, then navigate to it using file explorer (after setting it to show hidden files and folders)

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Peter, thanks for the reply.

I have a suspicion I've looked here before and no files exist, but will check for hidden files.

There is a Workspace folder in the Corel programs directory somewhere, this includes the Illustrator W/Space and another, I forget which. It also includes the Boot default W/Space, but never any custom W/Spaces created.

You can actually delete the Boot default W/Space from the folder and it will automatically be recreated when you open CorelDraw again???

I even tried customising the Illustrator W/Space, but that doesn't work either. All changes seem to be stored elsewhere...Strange.

Will try your suggestions when I get home.

Thanks again.

Sark

PS...Just to give you an idea how strange CD9 is on Win2K. I've just reformated and reinstalled Draw. When I right clicked a property bar to show the active toolbars etc, the Status bar was no longer listed. Its always been there before, now it's gone. It isn't even listed in the Options/Customisation dialogue. I right clicked the Status bar and had the option to hide it. Don't know how I'll get it back if the need arises though http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    IP

Peter, Hi.

Found Profiles and the Application Data folder in WINNT folder, but there was nothing in there, not a single file, (hidden or otherwise).

I guess this one will just have to remain a mystery as I'm not sure what I'm looking for now. Clearly the info is stored somewhere other than a Workspace folder?

Sark
    IP