Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

is there some way that im not finding that you can make an outer bevel or emboss-type effect on things in 3dsmax?

Boeing747FP

is there some way that im not finding that you can make an outer bevel or emboss-type effect on things in 3dsmax?

Boeing747FP

Piece of cake!

Can I assume you are using Max 5 and want to put a bevel on text, like you are using in your other thread?

1. Make a TEXT shape object, using whatever font you like, and arrange it the way you want, using Max's leading, kerning, etc, controls.

2. Convert it to an editable poly, which fills in the faces.

3. Go into Polygon selection mode, select all the faces (Ctrl-A), and apply an Extrude on it, from within the Edit Polygons menu. Click the box to the right of the extrude button to input a specific amount or just do it interactively in the work area.

4. Once you have the extrusion, the front faces should still be selected. If they aren't, select all of them again (ONLY the front faces!)

5. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the Edge button in the Selection menu. This will select all the edges surrounding the front faces simultaneously.

6. Apply a Chamfer in the Edit Edges menu. Once again, click the box to the right of the button for specific input or just click the Chamfer button and drag somewhere on your model, until the bevel is as you would like it to be.

7. That's about it

I chose to use Editable Poly mode instead of Editable Mesh because there are quite a few methods of selection that just are not available in the Mesh mode, and I haven't a clue as to why Discreet chose to make it that way. I almost always use Polys instead of Meshes nowadays.

Dan Huff
    http://home.neo.rr.com/nikko/

Here is an example of what I was doing. Is this what you meant?

Dan Huff
    http://home.neo.rr.com/nikko/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	3149  

Hey, good examples Danny

Good luck Boeing