Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Draw 10 bugs?

I work with Draw for 3 hours now and find at least 3 problems ...
    1. Fonts doesn't print on my HP 5000 N with PS emulation. I got only courier. From Draw 9 and all other applications everything works fine.(WIN ME, ATM 4.0, 128 Mb RAM etc.)
    2. I create circle. Convert it to rgb bitmap. Apply gaussian blur - and got transparent object with sharp edges ... Yes, I have "auto inflate bitmap" turned on.
    3. Have problems with custom workspace. Draw refuse to remember placement of some custom toolbars.
    Ziggy is right. Wait until SP1 ...

Goran
    IP

I work with Draw for 3 hours now and find at least 3 problems ...
    1. Fonts doesn't print on my HP 5000 N with PS emulation. I got only courier. From Draw 9 and all other applications everything works fine.(WIN ME, ATM 4.0, 128 Mb RAM etc.)
    2. I create circle. Convert it to rgb bitmap. Apply gaussian blur - and got transparent object with sharp edges ... Yes, I have "auto inflate bitmap" turned on.
    3. Have problems with custom workspace. Draw refuse to remember placement of some custom toolbars.
    Ziggy is right. Wait until SP1 ...

Goran
    IP

Yo Goran...

When specifying line weights, I usually use INCHES vice POINTS (I'm a former engineering tech and old habits stick). From the PROPERTIES BAR, the line weight pulldown displays and works correctly. HOWEVER, when you try to manipulate line weights in the OUTLINE TOOL, the initial pulldown within that menu shows:

None
    Hairline
    0.0 In.
    0.0 In.
    0.0 In.
    0.1 In.
    0.1 In.
    0.2 In.
    0.3 In.

...INSTEAD of:

None
    Hairline
    0.007 In.
    0.014 In.
    0.028 In.
    0.056 In.
    0.111 In.
    0.222 In.
    0.333 In.

...AND, when you type in a specific line weight, it displays as NONE/0.0 In. line weight (the lines disappear!).

Things seem to work OK for POINTS and MILLIMETERS (haven't really checked any others).

I'd call this a fairly major glitch and most certainly annoying, BUT, not as ANNOYING as the SNAP TO OBJECTS snag when Corel 9 was first released.

Have you or anyone else experienced this?

I'd be interested in hearing.

Have a good one,

Gary Garvin
    Laurel, MD
    IP

Gary

Don't have V10 yet but got this from a newsgroup thread recently

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have set up Draw to use inches. Unfortunately, the outline pen dialog (normally F12) has shows too few decimal places (only 1). Most of my lines are less than 0.1 inches. All the settings get truncated to 0.0 i.e. they have no outline!

Worst of all, because the new docker no longer has an apply button, just selecting the outline dialog will wink all my lines out of existence. (Actually they are still there in wireframe mode).

This is pretty much of a show stopper as far as I am concerned. I know I can work around it by using the outline control on the toolbar but now I can no longer set the default artistic style.

I could switch from inches to some other units, but I have used 0.02 and 0.04 inch lines consistently in my documents. I do not want my new files to look different.

A very frustrated user!

Llew <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the reply

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Llew,

This is certainly a misfeature, but don't worry: the good news is that when you enter a line thickness via the Property Bar, you can do it to 3 decimal places. And it remembers that thickness. And if you visit the Outline Dialog, so long as you don't actually _change_ the line thickness there, your old 3-dec thickness will be remembered.

I am sure that this is something that will be addressed in SP1 -- it's too daft not to be.

Regards,

--
    Nick Wilkinson. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope this is of some use

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Dockers & dialogs have an "auto apply" that automatically makes changes without having the click apply. This feature can be turned off simply by clicking the lock icon on the docker
    IP

Yes! That was of some use! Never before could you type in the value in the property bar (for me, anyway!), but now that you can, that's great!

Big, BIG HELP!

Thank you!

Gary
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    IP

I was very happy to plunk down my $250 today to get the version 10 upgrade. I have now been working with the new version for about 5 hours, and here is what I seem to have found.

<UL>
    <LI>There are no new samples in the texture gallery.
    <LI>The manuals stink. (I think a 6 year old could have told me that info.)
    <LI>Corel killed the photo sample book that usually comes with the package. No more looking up a pic in hard copy.
    <LI>Animated GIFS (in RAVE/PhotoPaint) only create a color pallette for the first frame. (This really sucked, since the first frame was the background in my banner graphic. I had to copy all elements to a new first frame, export to GIF, save the color palette, cancel, delete the first frame, export to GIF again, then import the color palette.)
    <LI>Installation did not replace version nine (this could be a good thing)[/list]

So far that is all of the bad things I have found. On the other hand, there are some really cool things too.

I am already in love with the new font management. I have been updating several graphics with small fonts. The built-in shapes are cool, although I think they could have come up with more than they did. Also, I am loving the node abilities in Draw! Edit/Skew and scale nodes? Tres cool.

All in all, I am not disappointed in the new version, but I am glad that I didn't have to pay full price.

Andrea

[This message was edited by Andrea D on November 21, 2000 at 02:36 PM.]
    IP

Hi Andrea,

I haven't had a chance to play with R.A.V.E. yet, but how does it corelate to FLASH? I'm kind of looking forward to it because I never could stand the drawing tools in the latter. And because of that, I've always drawn the basic images up in Corel, exported to Illustrator and imported them into FLASH. I found that the FLASH filter provided by Corel was a resource/space hog. Actually, going the route I did, the file size would reduce to about 10% of the SWF filter's output from Draw.

So far, Draw 10 seems to barrel along OK, but I am having the problem with line weights as described in a previous post in this string. At least that's not as bad as the SNAP TO debacle when CD9 was first released.

Well, keep us posted with the pros and cons...

Have a happy Thanksgiving,

Gary Garvin
    Laurel, MD
    IP

Andrea complains about the poor documentation and the lack of a sample book for the photos, clip art, etc.

While I agree that these books are helpful, I suspect that you can use the Gallery thingy (I must confess I never have) to view the various contents. Not the same as browsing.

But on the other hand, I think the new package design is almost perfect. It would be even closer to perfect if the balloon were to finally make it over the horizon. But the amount of white space to my eye is a treat. Life, after all, is not a contest to see how much junk we can put on the front of the box. And without all the other books, etc. the box has gotten smaller. How many other software products (or manuals) can say that?

RAVE is pretty cool and produces Flash SWF animations. The good news is it works with all the DRAW tools, which makes creating Flash movies a whole lot easier, and I use Flash quite a bit.

RAVE is not as robust as Flash, which is not altogether bad. Flash 5 has gotten pretty unweildy. But to those not familial with the limitations of Flash, there can be some unhappy surprises.

Flash does not support gadient fills aside from linear and circular. So if you create a beautiful conical fill and bring the file into Flash, the fill becomes solid. Same goes for gradient transparency. Flash either makes the object non-transparent, or changes the transparency to flat.

Used as a Front end to Flash, i.e. create the images, blends, which can be released to layers creating single animation frames for each step in the blend, in DRAW or RAVE and then importing these into Flash gives one a lot more control.

Gary
    (the one and only, one of many Gary's

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

What I believe is happening is that Draw is rounding to the tenth decimal place. Try a line weight of .08" and it will output a value of .1" Similarly, .13" will output a value of .1". Bad deal.

Regards, John
    Jclements@Brwncald.com
    IP