Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April Tutorial?

Workin' on it but from a different angle. Will post when done. You have not been forgotten [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I reboot Windows for a living
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

Gary,

I am still fighting the gel buttons. You would have tears in your eyes if you see my results so far [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Not an easy task to make a programmer create neat pictures. I enjoy this forum though and hope that one day I will be able to create my own company logo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

juergen

I've had a go- at least at my own version of the gel button. Excellent tutorial- inspiring, with just the right amount of info to whet the appetite.

I followed the tutorial part of the way, but then went off and did my own thing. The embossed text didn't light my fire, so I used some more solid text, and used a mould so it seemed to conform to the surface of the gel. I also didn't like the idea of using a bitmap for the text shadow- bitmaps in Xara (when not absolutely necessary) always make me feel as though I'm cheating! So I used the same text, with a different mould, made it transparent and feathered the edge a bit. Seemed to work okay, was probably easier than Gary's bitmap, and didn't feel like cheating. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Being new to Xara X (though I've been using CorelXara 1.5 in a fairly limited way for a number of years), I read through the other tutorials that interested me too (i.e. not the 'webby' ones, with all the animations and stuff), did a few bits of stuff which were unclear, and which inspired me to have a go, and have learnt a lot- I also remembered a lot of stuff which was in CorelXara, but which I'd forgotten.

Cheers,
    Phi

A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep. W.H. Auden, 1907-73
    Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Was this a Flash tutorial?
    If so then I won't have looked at it as I really can't afford to buy Flash.
    I am an avid read of the Xealot, however, and have put the tip about using the fonts gallery to clean up the fonts on my computer to great effect - keep up the great work,
    Tony
    PS if it isn't about flash then I'll certainly be visiting in soon
    Tony

...I added a 'window' reflection to the end of my gel button too- inspired by the ones on Frank's water droplets, but all my own work, just to show myself that I could (and done before I downloaded the .xar Frank so kindly posted- so it really was my own work). Looked quite cool I thought.

Phil

A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep. W.H. Auden, 1907-73
    Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Gary,

I have been out of town. Plan on doing the TUT tonight.

Gary, the tutorial is great, although I agreed with your earlier comments that we really ought to be thinking about new inventive design rather than imitating that already done.

Why did you not use linked colours ?? This must be my favorite Xara feature !!

Attached are some balls I drew for a corporate presentation, the linked colours let me pick whtever colours the client wanted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballz.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	7779